Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 potential starters are free agents next year
Assuming we don't get Diggs or Barr extended we have 5 potential starting free agents next year.
No particular order:
1 - Diggs 
2- Richardson 
3 - Barr 
4 - Easton 
5 - Hill
All these guys have one year prove-it deals. Diggs has to prove that he can stay healthy for 16 games and produce over 1,000 yards if he want to be paid like a Top WR.
Barr has to prove he can rush the passer and produce more splash plays if he wants to be paid like a top OLB (3-4)
Richardson pretty much signed at a bargain 1 year prove it deal that he can solidify our 3T and might warrant a further extension
Hill and Easton have to prove that are decent starters this year to warrant extensions.
Would be awesome if all step up (good problem to have) but also unlikely. What if Diggs misses another 3 or 4 games? What if Richardson is a stud along the DL? What if Barr is inconsistent again (disappearing some games per Zimmer)? Obviously the scenarios are almost endless but I am for letting the season play out before we extend any of these guys. Sure I would love to have signed both Barr and Diggs already but they are asking more then we are willing to give - so prove it this year!
The focus has been on Diggs and Barr but these other 3 guys might step up and require another contract.

We have the cap space to extend both Barr and Diggs this year, but future years could be tight.  We'll probably need to lower Rudy's 7 million cap hit (no guaranteed money left so he'll be open to restructuring) and Sendejo is in the same boat.

Honestly, I'd lock up Diggs to keep our offense together for the foreseeable future.  Then we can decide if we want to keep Barr or Richardson after the season.

Depending on how Hughes and the other young corners (Hill/Mac) develop, we could trade Waynes and free up about 9M as another option.