Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exploring one NFL exec’s claim that Kirk Cousins is ‘not a finisher’
Quote: @"Poiple" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
If Case Keenum can play like he did last year in Minnesota, Cousins can certainly take the next step also. What did Keenum do before last year? Cousins has a body of work at least. 

I think the odds are much higher that Case takes a step back and Kirk a step forward this year. 
Idk Stickman.  I seldom disagree with you but here...
I look at the reasons Case did well.  His O line was not good yet he was able to move around in the pocket better much better than most, kept his eyes diwnfield, sensed pressure and somehow knew when to bolt.  Then he usually threw accurately on the run.  The guy had a similar cast as Bradford the previous season, yet he did much better (8-8 vs 13-3). Being an accurate pocket passer behind a medicore line maybe isnt a good match.
I really think Case’s skillset is much different than Bradfords, and maybe Cousins’.  
I am pretty certain that letting Case go meant upgrading the Oline substantially was a neccessity this year.  I honestly havent seen enough of Cousins’ work to speak to his ability to avoid the pass rush and throw accurately on the run.  Hopefully he excells at it.
A similar cast?  The oline added 4 new starters last year and was significantly better than what Bradford had protecting him.  He also had a better batch of RBs to take the heat off of him than Sam.  Sam really wasn't given shit the previous year to work with...not to mention no training camp/offseason,  and his OC quit half way through the year.  Sams performance under those conditions was nothing short of amazing in many cases.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
If Case Keenum can play like he did last year in Minnesota, Cousins can certainly take the next step also. What did Keenum do before last year? Cousins has a body of work at least. 

I think the odds are much higher that Case takes a step back and Kirk a step forward this year. 
The one thing Case did do and this is just opinion, he made the oline better. He had an uncanny knack of ducking, sidestepping or just plain out running the rushers. I have to wonder how much of the olines improvement last season was because of him. Now on the other side. I didn't like his arm. I would watch his receivers make plays in spite of him. I would ask why are these guys always having to leave their feet to go up for the ball. Maybe just me being over critical. Liked Sams arm better. I haven't watched Kirk enough to know if he can match Sam's arm or Case's exscapability. I do believe Kirk could be enough of both to be real successful here.
I also liked the fun generated by Case and the guys last year. They had some real chemistry going. I don't think Kirk will be fun. He seems more like Sam personality wise. Cerebral and well...boring.

3rd most game winning drives since 2015...And he's not a finisher?

Vikings will need to go 16-0 and win the Superbowl this year for the Cousins signing to be worth it to them is how some feel. 

Vikings will need to go 16-0 and win the Superbowl this year for the Cousins signing to be worth it to them is how some feel. 
Don't forget setting a new record for season passer rating.

I think a repeat of last year would be good enough for me.  Great season, no give aways. 
Just adding a better QB doesnt automatically fix any problems the Vikes had. Those last 6 quarters made things pretty clear.

Only one team wins it all.  The ball is oblong and takes some funny bounces. Having the best team is no gurantee of winning.  Add in injuries, play calling and luck, the playoffs become anyone’s game.  And dont forget a few of those other teams got better also.  Eagles, Saints and Rams are both expected to be back and better.  Dont count Erin Rodgers out yet.

Thinking SB win or its a bust season sets you up for unrealistic expectations.  Im hoping they get homefield advantage.  The rest is up to the football gods.