Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick Spielman Interview
Folks, I wanted to announce that I decided NOT to accept an offer to interview Rick Spielman this year (would have been our 5th year interviewing him after the draft).  I do plan to interview Rick in the future, but two reasons for my delay:

1) The Viking PR group (as always) was very accommodating in trying to schedule the interview. However, my work schedule and travel was so hectic, I knew I had little change to schedule a time when Rick was available this week, because the demand for him was so high. Rather than being stressed about having to find time or put him off, I requested a delay to another time.

2) For the most part, Rick has already sliced and diced his draft up to the mainstream media and I think an interview with him sometime later would be more interesting and unique.

Rick likes talking to this group of people and ALWAYS asks if we got what we needed for the fans. 

I apologize for this cancellation, but he will be back soon.

No worries  I understand    thanks  Tom  for all that u  do  

your life has to come first Tom...  we understand.

For those wanting to hear Rick's take on all things draft, there's a pretty good interview with him on Vikings.com. Only caught half of it before I had to leave for work, but the one thing that caught my ear was how high they seem to be on And when you think about it, this was an undrafted free agent who actually made the 53. Says a lot that they didn't want to expose him despite being a developmental player. 

Tom, be cool to get an interview with Rick at the beginning of training camp. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
For those wanting to hear Rick's take on all things draft, there's a pretty good interview with him on Vikings.com. Only caught half of it before I had to leave for work, but the one thing that caught my ear was how high they seem to be on And when you think about it, this was an undrafted free agent who actually made the 53. Says a lot that they didn't want to expose him despite being a developmental player. 

yep Collins seems to be a forgotten man in most of these discussions.

I would love to hear what Rick has to say after otas and mini camps.  who to watch for in camp of the unknowns,  who has really stepped up in the offseason,  who needs to be looking over their shoulder (not that I expect him to share that but a guy can ask)  also who he is expecting to get deals done with prior to camp starting... (another one I dont expect a straight answer on)

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

yep Collins seems to be a forgotten man in most of these discussions.

I would love to hear what Rick has to say after otas and mini camps.  who to watch for in camp of the unknowns,  who has really stepped up in the offseason,  who needs to be looking over their shoulder (not that I expect him to share that but a guy can ask)  also who he is expecting to get deals done with prior to camp starting... (another one I dont expect a straight answer on)
Agreed, might be a much more insightful interview between OTA's, Mini Camps and the actual Training Camp. 

Agree with what everyone is saying above. I'd love to hear from Rick after he's gotten to see these guys on the field a bit.
Tom, again I thank you for all that you do for this site. You go way above and beyond!

As long as you get to talk to him that's all that matters.

Hey Tom.... its time for Moore from you on this subject.... (see what I did there?  yep, up all night working on that one  :p )

anyway,  any thoughts on being able to sit down with Ricky and seeing if he will set up the camp battles and any other tid bits we might be able to dissect over the next month of no news? 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Hey Tom.... its time for Moore from you on this subject.... (see what I did there?  yep, up all night working on that one  :p )

anyway,  any thoughts on being able to sit down with Ricky and seeing if he will set up the camp battles and any other tid bits we might be able to dissect over the next month of no news? 
Jimmy - maybe.   ive taken a bot of a break from interviewing this offseason to recharge.  I will be bringing Greg Coleman to you in early July.  But, after conducting 74 interviews last season and covering 11 games live, i didnt want the conversation to get stale.  Rick has said he will talk to is, I just have not rescheduled yet