Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Progress made, but still some assembly required on Vikings offensive line
There was a fluidity about the Vikings’ offensive line this spring that’s become commonplace by now, at a position that has been a puzzle (and, at its worst moments, a calamity) for much of the past five years or so.
Still, when the team returns to its practice facility in Eagan for the start of training camp next month, there shouldn’t be nearly as much furniture to move around in front of quarterback Kirk Cousins.
Center Pat Elflein, who did not practice with the team this spring after recovering from ankle and shoulder injuries, figures to be back by training camp. The Vikings could then return Nick Easton to left guard, while counting on Riley Reiff to be a mainstay again at left tackle. At that point, their only tasks would be finding a right guard to replace the retired Joe Berger, and figuring out if Rashod Hill can start at right tackle should Mike Remmers move inside to Berger’s vacated guard spot.
That’s a relatively short to-do list, given how long the Vikings’ offensive line has been in a state of flux, and it probably doesn’t look that different from the agenda in many ports of call around the NFL this time of year. Still, as the Vikings spent the spring learning a new offense and breaking in their new quarterback, they had to do it with some moving parts on the line.

If the Vikings do keep Remmers at guard, a year after signing him to a five-year, $30 million deal to play right tackle, they’d likely line him up inside of Hill, who started six regular-season games and two playoff games at right tackle last year.
It was the Vikings’ two playoff games in particular, Hill said, that taught him an important lesson about handling fatigue in the fourth quarter of a game. He said he dropped from 325 pounds to 313, mostly by cutting out late-night snacks, 10 p.m. Burger King runs and steaks at the Capital Grille.
“You know those rice cakes? Man, I’ve never eaten that in my life,” Hill said. “I’ve been trying them out and they’re amazing. I would think you’d eat less to lose weight, but you eat more of those smaller snacks — the metabolism comes and you burn off weight. I learn that I don’t eat nothing after 7:30 p.m. That’s my cutoff.

Good to hear Hill is further
embracing professional ideas.  If he can stick at RT we should have a very competitive line.  Figuring the draftees need a year, that leaves us with Compton and Izzy as backups
Not real good depth but likely good enough given Easton and Remmers can fill in also

I am worried about Hill as the starter at RT this season.  He's just not consistent enough and got beat in the NFCCG.  I would rather see Remmers at RT and either Compton, Isadora, or Gossett at RG.  

I am glad Hill is dropping weight to improve stamina, but its more about consistently using the proper technique, footwork and balance.

I'm sorry that we haven't heard positive reports about Aviante Collins in minicamp - he seemed to be getting some good reviews earlier in the offseason, and he's potentially the most talented prospect at RT.

The line isn't going to change: Reiff-Easton-Elflein-Remmers-Hill is the lineup for 2018. None of the backups either are ready or have the ability to push any of these guys unfortunately. The hope is they remain healthy to maximize the line's productivity, but the odds of that are low. At least one guy will miss a game or two. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The line isn't going to change: Reiff-Easton-Elflein-Remmers-Hill is the lineup for 2018. None of the backups either are ready or have the ability to push any of these guys unfortunately. The hope is they remain healthy to maximize the line's productivity, but the odds of that are low. At least one guy will miss a game or two. 
I generally agree with this...the name that popped-up a little bit was Isidora. But I can't see him supplanting Easton or Remmers yet.

Hill was awful in both playoff games.  I taped an watched the Saints game multiple times and he was beat like a drum all game never mind the 4th quarter.

But he is young and certainly can improve with reps which they are getting him.

That said, and I agree with the above - our line stays the same but now we have Hill and Remmers getting reps at other positions in case of injuries like last year.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
Hill was awful in both playoff games.  I taped an watched the Saints game multiple times and he was beat like a drum all game never mind the 4th quarter.

But he is young and certainly can improve with reps which they are getting him.

That said, and I agree with the above - our line stays the same but now we have Hill and Remmers getting reps at other positions in case of injuries like last year.  
You wanna see a RT get beat like a drum? Watch Remmers vs. Von Miller in the Super Bowl. Everyone points to Hill getting beat by All Pros Graham and Jordan, but I doubt Remmers would've held up very well against those guys either. 

It's time for Hill to put it all together. He has the size, length, hands. Now he has the experience. This is his 3rd season. And it's a contract year. If he can play well at RT this year, it will pay off huge for him.