Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harrison Smith is #46 on top 100

I will take it, but I think he should be much higher.

Rhodes at #55 was a joke, as is this ranking...

It's very unlikely that who ever is doing these rankings understand complex defensive schemes and thusly will under value great players who don't put up gaudy fantasy stats because they are playing within the confines of a great scheme.

Jeebus, wtf is that author smoking? Pass some my way. 

Oh well. It hard to please everyone. Every fan of every team probably believes they have 1 or 2 players deserving of a top 25 spot. These rankings spread it thin sometimes trying to please to many.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
Oh well. It hard to please everyone. Every fan of every team probably believes they have 1 or 2 players deserving of a top 25 spot. These rankings spread it thin sometimes trying to please to many.

I was just reading an article by Bucky Brooks and he stated that the NFL seems to have devalued safeties across the league and he can't figure out why...  he brought up the fact that guys like Vacarro, Reid, and Boston are still young and unsigned, but have been good players early in their career.  He took it a step further and pointed out that Harrison Smith and Earl Thomas are the top two safeties in the league and they are the highest ranked players at their position in the NFL's Top 100 at 41 and 46.
Honestly, I'm having a hard time thinking of 20 players better than Harrison Smith and Earl Thomas, let alone 40+...  we'll find out who made the top 40, but I'm guessing there will be a few QBs and offensive playmakers that will be ranked higher than they should be.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@suncoastvike said:

I was just reading an article by Bucky Brooks and he stated that the NFL seems to have devalued safeties across the league and he can't figure out why...  he brought up the fact that guys like Vacarro, Reid, and Boston are still young and unsigned, but have been good players early in their career.  He took it a step further and pointed out that Harrison Smith and Earl Thomas are the top two safeties in the league and they are the highest ranked players at their position in the NFL's Top 100 at 41 and 46.
Honestly, I'm having a hard time thinking of 20 players better than Harrison Smith and Earl Thomas, let alone 40+...  we'll find out who made the top 40, but I'm guessing there will be a few QBs and offensive playmakers that will be ranked higher than they should be.
I think the NFL has always devalued safeties. It a very under represented position in the HOF as well. Least that's how it feels to me.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@suncoastvike said:

any chance Vacarro, Reid, and Boston being unsigned has to do with anything more than their ability on the field?  IIRC there was an article that listed several free agents that were on the market,  but all had issues attached to them (mostly were their vocal support of kapernick and taking a knee themselves?

On a related note... starting to worry that Thielen is going to get left out.  Normally I wouldn't care much but since Diggs got #65...  Is it possible that the guy that was 2nd in receiving yards in the NFC and 5th in the NFL doesn't make the list??