Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meanwhile...on the Dark Side
Saints pull an Eagle
Following one of the best drafts in recent memory, the Saints, already loaded with two very good ends in Jordan and Rankins (both 1st rounders), add Marcus Davenport in the 1st round. 

Eagles pull another Eagle
After drafting Derek Barnett in the 1st round last year, adding him to what was already a stacked line in Graham, Cox, Jernigan and Curry, Eagles lose Curry, but add Michael Bennett and Haloti Ngata in free agency and draft Rasheem Green and Josh Sweat. Making matters worse, Eagles drafted Sidney Jones last year. If you remember, Jones was considered the #1 corner in last year's class until he suffered an achilles injury at his pro day. Eagles took him in the 2nd and redshirted him, so essentially, he is their 2018 1st rounder. 

I'd put our starters up against both of these teams, but we STILL don't have the rotational, pass rushing depth that these teams have. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Saints pull an Eagle
Following one of the best drafts in recent memory, the Saints, already loaded with two very good ends in Jordan and Rankins (both 1st rounders), add Marcus Davenport in the 1st round. 

After drafting Derek Barnett in the 1st round last year, adding him to what was already a stacked line in Graham, Cox, Jernigan and Curry, Eagles lose Curry, but add Michael Bennett and Haloti Ngata in free agency and draft Rasheem Green and Josh Sweat. Making matters worse, Eagles drafted Sidney Jones last year. If you remember, Jones was considered the #1 corner in last year's class until he suffered an achilles injury at his pro day. Eagles took him in the 2nd and redshirted him, so essentially, he is their 2018 1st rounder. 

I'd put our starters up against both of these teams, but we STILL don't have the rotational, pass rushing depth that these teams have. 
kind of makes me think we better have some pretty sound 2 TE game plans ready for the coming season.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Saints pull an Eagle

kind of makes me think we better have some pretty sound 2 TE game plans ready for the coming season.
Makes me think that if we truly want to throw "waves" of fresh pass rushers like these two teams will undoubtedly throw at us, we better keep B-Rob, or find a real player among the laundry list of longshot pass rushers we've acquired in the late rounds or post-draft (Weatherly, Odenigbo, Bower, Mata'afa, Aruna, etc).

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Saints pull an Eagle

Makes me think that if we truly want to throw "waves" of fresh pass rushers like these two teams will undoubtedly throw at us, we better keep B-Rob, or find a real player among the laundry list of longshot pass rushers we've acquired in the late rounds or post-draft (Weatherly, Odenigbo, Bower, Mata'afa, Aruna, etc).
You're really comparing apples to oranges. The way the Vikings play the gaps along the D-line is different than the Eagles. The Vikings D-lineman have more responsibility and the Vikings want very specific outside rushers with the long arms because Zimmer is willing to spread them extremely wide. You need those arms not only because it helps you get on the chest plate but because you're spread so wide you need to be able to shed and scrape. You can maybe get away with bringing in one new major piece a season without it setting the entire unit back. So although the Eagles game plan of bringing in a slew of rushers is enviable it wouldn't necessarily work here. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Saints pull an Eagle

You're really comparing apples to oranges. The way the Vikings play the gaps along the D-line is different than the Eagles. The Vikings D-lineman have more responsibility and the Vikings want very specific outside rushers with the long arms because Zimmer is willing to spread them extremely wide. You need those arms not only because it helps you get on the chest plate but because you're spread so wide you need to be able to shed and scrape. You can maybe get away with bringing in one new major piece a season without it setting the entire unit back. So although the Eagles game plan of bringing in a slew of rushers is enviable it wouldn't necessarily work here. 
I'm talking about depth. Gaps and arm length aside, it doesn't change the fact that our depth on the edges doesn't compare. When Jordan or Bennett get winded, Saints and Eagles bring in fresh 1st round draft picks. Without Brian, our depth is limited to the aforementioned Weatherly, Odenigbo, Bower, Mata'afa, or Aruna. Now maybe one or two of these guys ends up being a real player, but the fact remains that you're comparing highly drafted depth to late round and undrafted hopefuls. I think this argues strongly for keeping Robison. 

We did get depth.  Sounds like our 3rd rounder will slide inside for pass rush.  We also signed Richardson to bring the pressure up the middle.  That is really where we were hurting last year. 

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Saints pull an Eagle

I'm talking about depth. Gaps and arm length aside, it doesn't change the fact that our depth on the edges doesn't compare. When Jordan or Bennett get winded, Saints and Eagles bring in fresh 1st round draft picks. Without Brian, our depth is limited to the aforementioned Weatherly, Odenigbo, Bower, Mata'afa, or Aruna. Now maybe one or two of these guys ends up being a real player, but the fact remains that you're comparing highly drafted depth to late round and undrafted hopefuls. I think this argues strongly for keeping Robison. 
Philly also has the luxury of not paying a QB nearly 30 million a year.   once Wentz gets to his new deal I am sure that philly wont be bringing in waves of great players.  I like that we are putting our efforts into coverage players,  getting the QB to hold the ball longer will lead to more hits which in turn leads to more turnovers and broken chicken wings.

Philly and Rams both in enviable positions QB & Rookie Contract wise...

But damn if I will complain about having to pay a QB franchise $$$. Not after the drought we went through. 

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Saints pull an Eagle

Our depth is in the backfield.  I'm sure the Aints and Beagle fans question why they have so many 1st rounders on their lines just the same that we do at CB.