Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where’s our scatback?
My least concern is running back. They're a dime a dozen as long as you have a good line... Hmm...

Quote: @dadevike said:
CJ Hill was on the roster before the draft. I really like Pettway, too. Again, I don't see an issue here. 

Seems like people are really pissed about passing on Will Hernandez. He was not a fit. If the O line sucks next season you can all come back and say "I told you so." You should probably also call for the firing of Spielman, Zimmer, DeFilippo, Sparano, the college scouting group, ...
Im not upset with our OL choices in the draft. Either the guys we valued were there or they werent. I do think we’ll need to bring in a June 1 cut to start since we didnt fill bergers spot and im not terribly impressed with who we have brought in to date. 

What is the value in drafting a "Three Down Back" who can catch the ball and block like Cook if you don't use them on 3rd down? I get that he can't play every snap, but between him and Murray, there are not a lot if other snaps to go around. Also, we didn't even use Jet like a scatback. We never got to see his true potential in Norv's offense or last year because he needed to be a more traditional RB with Cook out. SF will obviously use him differently. The Vikings offense just hasn't utilized backs like thatbfor many years. No worries on my end.

Roc Thomas could have a shot at that role.

Quote: @SkolVikings44 said:
 The Vikings offense just hasn't utilized backs like thatbfor many years.
All the way back to David Palmer, maybe?

Mike Boone Cincinnati UDFA RB is fun to watch.  I like him more than last year's FA RB Mack Brown.  He's like a cross between Dalvin and Jet.

I think the term scat back needs to go away.  at the time of bruising north south runners the term scat back simply meant a guy that was smaller, quick, shifty, and caught passes out of backfield... in todays game that is basically most RB,  its not very often we see teams use that true power back that we saw a few generations ago.  Hell DC could be considered a scat back by definition IMO.

Quote: @KingBash said:
My least concern is running back. They're a dime a dozen as long as you have a good line... Hmm...
I think that was the thinking as recently as a year ago, but backs like Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt really took the league by surprise last year and you could see how explosive those offenses became because of their unique RB/WR skill sets.  I think Jet had a lot of those same skills, which is why I was sad to see him go, although he wasn't always used in that role here.

I am very excited to see Cook come back, although he is more of a traditional back who can catch passes than a Kamara/Hunt type of RB/WR hybrid.

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
@KingBash said:
I think that was the thinking as recently as a year ago, but backs like Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt really took the league by surprise last year and you could see how explosive those offenses became because of their unique RB/WR skill sets.  I think Jet had a lot of those same skills, which is why I was sad to see him go, although he wasn't always used in that role here.

I am very excited to see Cook come back, although he is more of a traditional back who can catch passes than a Kamara/Hunt type of RB/WR hybrid.
I think just like every other offensive approach it will get figured out,  teams will counter that by bringing in a 4th CB in those nickle packages to pick up the RB coming out of the back field if they dont have an athletic enough safety to do the job.   

Didn't Najeh Davenport retire 2008?  We don't need one of those on our team :p