Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After free agent deals, Vikings still have nearly $18 million in salary cap space
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Poiple" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Poiple" said:
When it comes to resigning the young guys its not going to seem like enough.
even if the get Barr under a better deal for this year to increase the carry over cap space I doubt we will be thinking about ways to spend this cap surplus 18 months from now.
Reading the tea leaves I am guessing that they do ass you suggest with Barr and I think they try to get Diggs nailed down before he has a big season with Cousins.

It doesnt take much to guess that they will try to hang on to Zimmer’s favorite pieces of his defense.  I expect that another year of maturity for young guys emerging and new draft picks will dictate who else gets paydays or released.  Just the way of things in FA.

The easy forcasting is disappointments like Treadwell will be gone.  Wright might fill that spot but I think they still need another pass catcher to spread the ball around to. It will be interesting to see how they fill the need.  Id like to see a TE pass catcher (I’d like that SD kid) but I doubt they see it as an immediate need.  
It just gets more interesting
neither AT, Diggs, or Wright fill the role the Treadwell was supposed to fill.   We need a big physical presence at WR to be able to get off press coverages and be that security blanket in tight situations that a QB needs.  Quicks are good in open spaces,  but when you get into the redzone its hard to beat a big physical guy that can out muscle, and out jump the defenders.
I think those redzone mismatches are much easier to find in good pass catching TE's. The freak WRS like Julio Jones Dez Bryant etc. are so few and far between that I think you're better off going with the quicks, and compliment them with the sure handed lugs that create issues for DBs and LBers but don't have to be able to take it 60 yds. Much safer, lower, and plentiful draft picks.

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Poiple" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Poiple" said:
When it comes to resigning the young guys its not going to seem like enough.
even if the get Barr under a better deal for this year to increase the carry over cap space I doubt we will be thinking about ways to spend this cap surplus 18 months from now.
Reading the tea leaves I am guessing that they do ass you suggest with Barr and I think they try to get Diggs nailed down before he has a big season with Cousins.

It doesnt take much to guess that they will try to hang on to Zimmer’s favorite pieces of his defense.  I expect that another year of maturity for young guys emerging and new draft picks will dictate who else gets paydays or released.  Just the way of things in FA.

The easy forcasting is disappointments like Treadwell will be gone.  Wright might fill that spot but I think they still need another pass catcher to spread the ball around to. It will be interesting to see how they fill the need.  Id like to see a TE pass catcher (I’d like that SD kid) but I doubt they see it as an immediate need.  
It just gets more interesting
neither AT, Diggs, or Wright fill the role the Treadwell was supposed to fill.   We need a big physical presence at WR to be able to get off press coverages and be that security blanket in tight situations that a QB needs.  Quicks are good in open spaces,  but when you get into the redzone its hard to beat a big physical guy that can out muscle, and out jump the defenders.
I think those redzone mismatches are much easier to find in good pass catching TE's. The freak WRS like Julio Jones Dez Bryant etc. are so few and far between that I think you're better off going with the quicks, and compliment them with the sure handed lugs that create issues for DBs and LBers but don't have to be able to take it 60 yds. Much safer, lower, and plentiful draft picks.
I agree with the redzone mismatch. I also believe another big body, similar to Rudolph would be huge for this O.
Any where on the field.

SD, AT, KR, plus another big body, and Cook.
Wow good luck covering those guys, IF only the line can hold for even an average amount of time.