Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL salary cap $177.2 million per team for 2018 season
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22659...018-season

NFL salary cap $177.2 million per team for 2018 seasonThe NFL's salary cap has been set at $177.2 million per team in 2018, up from $167 million last year, using a calculation based on the league's revenue, sources told ESPN's Field Yates.
This is the fifth straight year the salary cap has increased by at least $10 million. The 6.11 percent increase is the smallest percent increase for the cap from year to year since 2013's 1.99 percent jump.
But since 2013, the cap has risen more than $54 million, from $123 million to $177.2 million, an increase of 44.1 percent.
[Image: wpwq0gfxm3yk.jpg]

Teams were notified of the salary cap and the numbers for franchise tag designations on Monday. There is an exception for players franchised for a second straight year.
The NFL's collective bargaining agreement allows teams to carry over unused cap space from one year to the next. It also establishes a spending floor. Every four years, teams must spend at least 89 percent of their cap space in cash to avoid a CBA violation.
Free agency begins March 14, with the start of the NFL's new league year. Teams that are over the cap must clear salary by that date. Currently, three teams are over the cap: the Philadelphia Eagles ($11,210,390 over), Miami Dolphins($8,874,165 over) and Kansas City Chiefs($3,285,981 over).

The Cleveland Browns have the most room under the cap, with $108 million to spend.

how does cleveland not buy free agency and the draft and turn that sucker around quickly is beyond me.  its not like their existing roster is total shit to begin with.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
how does cleveland not buy free agency and the draft and turn that sucker around quickly is beyond me.  its not like their existing roster is total shit to begin with.
I was thinking that. Does "Cleveland" the city have anything to do with it?

I've never been, but I've been told that it's not necessarily a destination city, and a pretty blue collar town. I'm honestly hoping I'm not offending any Cleveland-ites on the board...

Quote: @"Clanzomaelan" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

I've never been, but I've been told that it's not necessarily a destination city, and a pretty blue collar town. I'm honestly hoping I'm not offending any Cleveland-ites on the board...
i would guess it more the ownership and the aura of suck surrounding the franchise... but they should be able to buy some love.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Clanzomaelan" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

i would guess it more the ownership and the aura of suck surrounding the franchise... but they should be able to buy some love.
Great point. What is the moniker? Factory of Sadness? It's about right... Not sure I'd say to my Wife, "Hey... We're going to the Factory of Sadness!"

She'd reply, "Why?"

Me: "Because we're going to be rich!"

Her: "Well, aren't we going to be rich in places not named 'The Factory of Sadness?' Maybe we could find a happy medium..."

A friend once told me that when you are getting a job offer, there are 4 levels of salary:

1. Lowball
  2. Market
  3. Over Market
  4. Insane
    1. He is a West Coaster through and through, and a proud lifelong Seattle-ite. He was asked to take a position in Florida. He waffled, and they told him the salary, which was double his salary. He took it. Four years he hated in Florida, and then he moved back to Seattle.

My guess is Cleveland is stuck having to offer Insane offers.

Quote: @"Clanzomaelan" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Clanzomaelan" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Great point. What is the moniker? Factory of Sadness? It's about right... Not sure I'd say to my Wife, "Hey... We're going to the Factory of Sadness!"

She'd reply, "Why?"

Me: "Because we're going to be rich!"

Her: "Well, aren't we going to be rich in places not named 'The Factory of Sadness?' Maybe we could find a happy medium..."

A friend once told me that when you are getting a job offer, there are 4 levels of salary:

1. Lowball
  2. Market
  3. Over Market
  4. Insane
    1. He is a West Coaster through and through, and a proud lifelong Seattle-ite. He was asked to take a position in Florida. He waffled, and they told him the salary, which was double his salary. He took it. Four years he hated in Florida, and then he moved back to Seattle.

My guess is Cleveland is stuck having to offer Insane offers.
only until they start winning... gbay gets free agents to sign there when they want them.

Just think, if you were Cleveland and you thought Cousins was a sure fire player you could front load a huge deal, draft Barkley for your RB Nelson to play guard. Still have high picks and cash to make more moves.

Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
Just think, if you were Cleveland and you thought Cousins was a sure fire player you could front load a huge deal, draft Barkley for your RB Nelson to play guard. Still have high picks and cash to make more moves.
they need to do something for Gods sake.  I dont think any team is as pathetic in the history of sports as the current browns operation... makes me think they are sucking intentionally so that their attendance will drop so they can relocate the franchise..... oh wait,  wrong cleveland team. B)

"But since 2013, the cap has risen more than $54 million, from $123 million to $177.2 million, an increase of 44.1 percent.
Every year the Cap goes up and every year the latest QB sets a record.  If we want to play ya gotta pay.  Cousins record contract will last about 2 weeks then Matt Ryan will break it and then Rodgers will break that.  Just like last year when Carr broke it and then a week later Stafford broke it.

We have the Cap-ologist who has projected everything a couple years ahead and we know what we can afford to do and still sign who we want.

I also have full confidence in Defillipo and staff to go after the right QB.