Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teddy leaving?
Josh Allen? A guy who can't hit the side of a house? A QB that is slow read? how would he fit our WCO system that requires a high accuracy and needs to be a fast thinker??

Quote: @"lakeerievike" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Retaining Bridgewater in 'some capacity' isn't what I'd call a ringing endorsement as the answer at QB. But they may have to look at him as a Plan B or fall back scenario potentially depending on how things go with either Cousins or Bradford. 
I have this feeling the Vikings are going to go get the guy they want in the draft.  Teams with high salary caps (which we will have in two years) need your QBs in the first contract.  Don't be surprised if the Vikes make a play for Josh Allen.  They already scouted him.  I think the he fits what the new OC is looking for.
They're not handing this team over to a Rookie QB, if they resign Case I wouldn't be surprised if they take a QB early. Lamar Jackson would be a guy that could sit behind Case for a bit.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"NodakViking" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"NodakViking" said:
There is a potential downside to signing the next big money free agent, look how it worked out for the Bears.  There is also validity in the argument that big money QB's can strap their teams when it comes to keeping talented vets.  Rogers, Manning, Brees each are/were in situation where they HAD to elevate the talent around them.  Paying a QB that kind of money means the QB has to be able to do that.
What Bears FA do you mean - Mike Glennon? I wouldn't call him the "next big money FA" when he signed. It was a failure, but not that expensive, even last season, and they can waive him and only pay $2.5M this year. His signing was kind of a surprise at the time, not at all like the speculation around Cousins. And the experience difference between Glennon and Cousins is enormous. That's a case of management and HC being on separate pages and overall confused. I don't see the similarities whatsoever.

Cutler-fair comparison to Cousins, a few years of production no real winning.  Big money and a team that ended up in cap hell trying to win with him.

I'm not saying that is Cousins, I actually liked him coming out of MSU and thought it was a great move drafting him even though they had already grabbed a QB.

I'm just a little more skeptical than some, he's not a lock franchise QB IMO.  I'll be behind whatever move they make but will probably still be a little skeptical-I've seen too man years of quick fixes that went no where.
cutler is the name I keep going to when thinking of comparison... they look like they should be winners,  nice stats and all, but for some reason they just cant seem to make the jump.   maybe cousins will,  maybe he wont,  but to date he hasnt really done much more than make stats.... and stacks and stacks of cash for himself.
Ah. Resentment of a QB who gets a large contract at any point. Now this sounds much like comments we were hearing about Bradford last year. Not saying it was you, Jimmy, but others were pretty hung up on Bradford's past earnings.
The Cutler/Cousins comparison is a head shaker. I don't see much beyond the first letter of their last names, to be honest. Cutler was a #1 pick, always esteemed for his great arm strength alone, handed starting jobs, but reputed to be a questionable teammate and unemotional leader. Cousins was a 4th-rounder, afterthought in the RG3 draft, and the Redskins tried to bury him behind Griffin and pretend he wasn't the better player. If Cousins reminds you of detached, sulky Cutler, you must not remember Kirk leading the Skins on a 4-game winning streak to make the playoffs in 2015.
Cousins is a great underdog story, and it's surprising if people resent the single-year salaries he has received the last two seasons. There are a ton of NFL players who received multi-year bonanza contracts and coasted; Cousins bet on himself each of the last two years rather than take a lowball contract from petulant Dan Snyder, and he maintained strong play. All these players are overpaid multimillionaires - Kirk Cousins is far from a spoiled stat machine.

Your pyschobabble is entertaining, yet way off base.

Cousins doesn't compare to Cutler in any way. He doesn't have a cannon, isn't a gunslinger and not a D-Bag. And frankly, the next progression Jay goes through will likely be his first,.while reading Defenses and going through progressions is one of Cousins' biggest strengths.

Comparing records in a vacuum is meaningless unless both players were in the exact same situation, which is impossible.

Hell, you can't even compare Bradford and Case. Keenum had a much better Line, Cook for a while, Shurmer with a full offseason to implement his offense.

If you want to say you thought Kirk should have won more with the talent he had his first two years fine. But comparing his situation to someone else's when there are so many unique factors in play doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
Cousins doesn't compare to Cutler in any way. He doesn't have a cannon, isn't a gunslinger and not a D-Bag. And frankly, the next progression Jay goes through will likely be his first,.while reading Defenses and going through progressions is one of Cousins' biggest strengths.

Comparing records in a vacuum is meaningless unless both players were in the exact same situation, which is impossible.

Hell, you can't even compare Bradford and Case. Keenum had a much better Line, Cook for a while, Shurmer with a full offseason to implement his offense.

If you want to say you thought Kirk should have won more with the talent he had his first two years fine. But comparing his situation to someone else's when there are so many unique factors in play doesn't make any sense to me.
Yet here we are...

We aren't comparing their physical or mental traits we are comparing career arcs.  Some were apoplectic when the Vikings didn't outbid for Cutler-what a colossal mistake that would have been.  Lets just not get tunnel vision on Cousins.

He was offered a deal in 2016 that would have ranked 21st in the NFL-about even with Dalton and not much more than Glennon got in 2017.
in 2017 a little better but not exactly a ringing endorsement from is team. 
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bruce...chise-tag/

There have been a host of FA QB's the Vikings HAD TO HAVE-Cutler included-that flamed out.  The comparison is as simplistic as that, a hot FA that has good stats but nothing to really show for it.   Don't make it more than that.  I thought I remembered some buzz bout hi bot being real popular with his teammates at one point a couple years ago, not sure  remember correctly but here are some articles about the good and bad, I don't know the answer but Cousins doesn't have me giddy with excitement.  He's a good option but is he the best option?.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-s...ee3f10a7f8
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21121...dskins-nfl

I never said the Vikings had to have him. In fact, I've pointed out that some of his flaws like deep ball accuracy and decision-making under pressure mirror those on Case. Which leads me to think that their interest will have a lower ceiling in terms of money than most here would think.

As for Cutler. Has he ever had a reputation as a hard worker? A guy who studies film tirelessly? Did he play on teams that had Playoff caliber talent that were perennially held back by injuries on Offense and crappy Defenses? 

I get the desire to find a comparison that fits a particular opinion. Why not Matt Stafford? Throws for a zillion yards, not much to show for it.