Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One move each NFL team should make before the season starts...
Minnesota Vikings: Start Pat Elflein…Somewhere20 of 32
  1. [Image: fbedfd12040b8dfeef41d92c355c38ba_crop_ex...crop_y=top]Jim Mone/Associated Press
    The Minnesota Vikings got a gift in the third round of the 2017 NFL draft in the form of Ohio State center Pat Elflein. When they traded up to select him, Mike Mayock of NFL Network hailed the pick.
    "One of the most technically advanced offensive lineman in this draft," Mayock said. "He's not the best athlete in the world, but he's technically proficient. He's one of those guys that will play 10 years in the NFL. I love the fact that he can play center and both guards. Really solid pick by the Vikings."
    However, Minnesota head coach Mike Zimmer isn't one to just hand starting spots to rookies. In that respect, it wasn't surprising that Nick Easton spent the majority of OTAs as the team's starter in the middle of the offensive line, per Matt Vensel of the Star Tribune.
    The same Nick Easton who ranked 36th at the position (per PFF) in 400 snaps and change a year ago.
    According to Football Outsiders, the Vikings had the third-worst run-blocking line in the NFL last season. Elflein happens to be an excellent run-blocker with starting experience at both center and guard.
    This shouldn't be rocket science.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27214...ended_pool

Chicago Bears: Take It Slow with LB Danny Trevathan6 of 32
  1. [Image: 6e97d873ad4ee48c8b7b7d8d27dbcdc8_crop_ex...crop_y=top]Jeff Haynes/Associated Press
    Prior to the 2016 season, the Chicago Bears added a pair of veteran inside linebackers in Jerrell Freeman and Danny Trevathan. No matter what other problems the Bears had, the team theoretically didn't have to worry about that position.
    But in Chicago, everything that could go wrong pretty much has. Freeman drew a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy, while Trevathan tore his patellar tendon. The Bears went on to have an awful 2016 season.
    Trevathan's injury was especially brutal. Torn patellar tendons were a career-ender not long ago, and for every Jimmy Graham who recovers even now, there's a Victor Cruz who doesn't.
    The Bears at least have a measure of insurance, as fellow inside linebacker Nick Kwiatkoski performed relatively well in Trevathan's stead last year. Freeman told Chris Boden of CSN Chicago that Kwiatkoski made the most of his extra first-team reps.
    "He's trying to absorb a lot of things," Freeman said, "trying to get his footwork better, his pass rush better, just like all of us strive to every day."
    Trevathan, who is under contract through 2019, is only 27. With the Bears diving straight into a rebuild, they have no reason to rush him back. 
    Stash Trevathan on the physically unable to perform list, see what you have in Kwiatkoski and revisit the situation in October.

Detroit Lions: Start Miles Killebrew at SS, LB or Both11 of 32
  1. Leon Halip/Getty Images
    Miles Killebrew played fewer than 15 percent of the Lions' defensive snaps in 2016, but the second-year pro told Nate Atkins of MLive.com he's ready for a much larger role in 2017.
    "I'm comfortable, so I'm quicker. My reads are faster. I feel like I've improved my coverage, and my run fits have gotten a little better," Killebrew said. "It's fun playing fast, and I feel like I'm playing faster than last year for sure."
    Defensive coordinator Teryl Austin told Atkins he's impressed both with Killebrew's growth and versatility.
    "He has a lot of places he can play," Austin said. "I see him as a strong safety for us who can play in the dime, who can play in the back because when you watch him, he has really good athletic ability and he can run and he has really good ball skills."
    That versatility is why the Lions need to get Killebrew on the field.
    In addition to being a capable safety, the 222-pound Killebrew could also theoretically play some nickel linebacker, which is an area where the Lions could use help. Jarrad Davis is unproven, Paul Worrilow is mediocre and coverage is not Tahir Whitehead's strong suit.
    Every team wants a "rover" nowadays. Killebrew has the potential to be just that for the Lions.

Green Bay Packers: Get Rookie Josh Jones Substantial (600+) Snaps12 of 32
  1. Matt Ludtke/Associated Press
    The Green Bay Packers aren't the type of team to make wholesale changes just before the season starts. They won't make a late free-agent splash. (Or an early one, for that matter.)
    The one area where the Packers needed major help—the secondary—was their focus early in the 2017 draft. As we move from OTAs into training camp and the preseason, everyone's going to see what the Packers already know: They landed a steal with safety Josh Jones in the second round.
    As ESPN's Rob Demovsky reported, the 6'2", 220-pound Jones caught Mike McCarthy's eye early as someone capable of playing both safety spots, corner and even some nickel linebacker.
    The key is going to be figuring out how best to use him. The Packers have a pair of talented starters at safety in Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Morgan Burnett, but third safety Micah Hyde left in free agency. Green Bay also struggled at both corner and inside linebacker at times in 2016.
    It's asking a lot of a rookie to task him with learning multiple positions, but the Packers should try. If they put as much on the youngster's plate as he can handle, it could mean a trip to Minnesota next February.

:p