Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Remmers' position an unknown for Vikings offensive line
Remmers is and always has been a League Average RT. Granted, that's miles better than what the team had the year before, but is that good enough? 

The Patriots have a better RT. The Eagles have arguably the best RT in the game. The Saints have a promising rookie playing well.

Minnesota will likely face pass rushers like Cam Jordan and Brandon Graham again in the Playoffs. Sticking with League Average just because it was an improvement over near-historically bad isn't the recipe for post season success.

Draft an RT early. As in First Round. Move up if you have to. There are multiple candidates that profile as well or better than Ramcyck who played well for NO last year.

This also creates more competition at OG. You now have Easton, Remmers, Sirles, Isidora competing for Starting spots. Maybe get a 5th Rounder and the guy from the Eagles in the mix too.

Getting a Price or another Guard won't fix the issues at RT.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:

Draft an RT early. As in First Round. Move up if you have to. There are multiple candidates that profile as well or better than Ramcyck who played well for NO last year..
I sure remember many people saying last year was the wrong year to draft an OT. So will they this year?

McGlinchey is being projected as a late 1st early second round guy and would be able to start day 1 at RT,  however you still need to be prepared to play Remmers or Hill there unless they want to add a guy from FA as of course we wont know how the draft unfolds until the good of FA are picked over.

We should be going hard after Norwell if Carolina doesn't franchise him. It's going to be expensive, but that would solve our OG situation since it's highly doubtful Billy Price, Isaiah Wynn, or Will Hernandez will be available for us at 30. Since Miami rescinded Ja'Wuan James 5th year option to make him a free agent, I would also consider signing him if he has recovered from his hamstring issue and if we don't land Norwell. He would be better than drafting McGlinchey to play RT, and would allow us to move Remmers to RG assuming Berger retires. He was probably a little over drafted by Miami, doesn't get to the second level very well, but he is excellent in pass protection where we seem to be the most vulnerable. If we can make a key free agent signing for the OLine, it will allow us more flexibility at 30 where we could take a guy like Hubbard to improve our Pass Rush unless someone like Da'Ron Payne magically falls to us. The concerns on McGlinchey remind me of the issues we had with Kalil. He has questionable strength to hold up against power rushers and tends to reach too much with his technique. With the Tackle class being so weak this year, I think he would be a second round talent in any other draft. 

This Tackle Class is much better than last year's. McGlinchey is already a better player than Ramcyck in every way. He didn't play as well at LT as he did at RT. Who cares? Team doesn't need an LT.

At some point you really need to trust that you've loaded up on enough Guards that competition will produce twice good starters. Easton, Remmers, Isidora, Sirles, the guy from the Eagles.

Five guys. None are scrubs. 

Meanwhile, Hill wilted against better players. Remmers killed the Panthers championship aspirations. Collins is nowhere near ready yet.

This talk of signing FA Guards or drafting one at #30 really makes no sense to me.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
The only reason Remmers played guard was due to injuries to Elflein and Easton.  I would expect him to kick back out to RT.  It seems to be his best position.  I didn't get the impression he played well at LG those last couple games.  We really missed Easton's mobility in the run game IMO.
[Image: ryq384y6hwxh.jpeg]

They're going to give Remmers a chance to bump inside to guard, they preferrer him there. But obviously it depends on what they can add through FA and the draft. Even when you go back and watch the offense last year they didn't like to leave Remmers 1-on-1 with speed rushers in space. He can anchor and get push but he'll lose his hands and get beat around the edge. That isn't an issue inside and he has the athleticism to pull and make an impact on the 2nd level. 

That's not to suggest he's a bad RT, but you'd be catering to his strengths at guard. It comes down to what they can add. 

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
This Tackle Class is much better than last year's. McGlinchey is already a better player than Ramcyck in every way. He didn't play as well at LT as he did at RT. Who cares? Team doesn't need an LT.

At some point you really need to trust that you've loaded up on enough Guards that competition will produce twice good starters. Easton, Remmers, Isidora, Sirles, the guy from the Eagles.

Five guys. None are scrubs. 

Meanwhile, Hill wilted against better players. Remmers killed the Panthers championship aspirations. Collins is nowhere near ready yet.

This talk of signing FA Guards or drafting one at #30 really makes no sense to me.
FSUVike,

If the Vikings Coaching Staff were so confident in the interior lineman we have, why did they have to move Remmers to LG and sign a practice squad guard from the Eagles? Hill, Isidora, Sirles, etc. are all backups. Hill was absolutely exposed in both playoff games. He is not a Starter in this league and until we invest some money into both lines, we will continue to be good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to beat the elite teams when it matters.