Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eagles OC Frank Reich named new Colts coach
INDIANAPOLIS -- Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich has been hired to be the Indianapolis Colts' next head coach.
He will received a five-year deal, according to a source.
Reich replaces Chuck Pagano as coach after a search that took a few twists and turns. Indianapolis announced that Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels had agreed to take the job on Feb. 6 and scheduled an introductory news conference for the next day. McDaniels called Colts general manager Chris Ballard later that evening and reneged on the agreement, saying he decided to stay with New England. Ballard took the blame for the team's announcing the agreement with McDaniels before he signed the contract.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22401...olts-coach

Are they sure this time?

Glad we got Flip before Reich left

Reich leaving could not have been a total suprise. Eagles let us talk with Diflippo after  McDaniel reversed course, Philly could have held us off for another week.  They had to have had a clue about Reich and were okay with losing both.  

I would go out on a limb that the Colts will ultimately be glad it worked out this way, and this isn't based on great appreciation for Reich as my disbelief that Josh McDaniels will ever be a successful NFL HC. He was a wreck with the Broncos, actually a near-laughingstock - but a few years back in the protective bubble of "coaching" Tom Brady has corrected his flaws? Belichick assistants don't succeed - Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini? - but NFL owners keep hiring them.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I would go out on a limb that the Colts will ultimately be glad it worked out this way, and this isn't based on great appreciation for Reich as my disbelief that Josh McDaniels will ever be a successful NFL HC. He was a wreck with the Broncos, actually a near-laughingstock - but a few years back in the protective bubble of "coaching" Tom Brady has corrected his flaws? Belichick assistants don't succeed - Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini? - but NFL owners keep hiring them.
Depends on if Josh learned some humility from his first failure.

IMO, Bilicheck assistance often fail because they think they can be Bill.  But they can't.  They don't have the resume to treat people like trash and get by with it.  They don't have the respect of the players because they haven't connived their way to 5 titles.

So when they get their HC gig and try to act like dictators, they often fall flat when they don't win.

But I will agree that I think the Colts actually lucked out here.  And I like that it weakens the Eagles.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
Reich leaving could not have been a total suprise. Eagles let us talk with Diflippo after  McDaniel reversed course, Philly could have held us off for another week.  They had to have had a clue about Reich and were okay with losing both.  
DeFilippo’s contract was going to expire.  He could choose any team he wanted.  They couldn’t prevent him from leaving even
if they wanted to.  I think the Vikings
were a better option for an OC on the rise because Pederson guides the scheme
and calls the plays in Philadelphia.  In
Minnesota, they will get full responsibility and full credit for what they
accomplish here.  They also get a pretty
solid offensive roster and although it appears that we are weaker at QB, they
do have a pretty good chance of getting their choice of QBs.

I think it really comes down to the lure of trying to win
two in a row in Philly was not as great as the chance for these DePhilippo to
expand his professional career.