Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Eagles Keep Both QBs?
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:

He won't be able to financially maximize this upcoming season since he's under contract. That's where system fit and Foles desires play into it. He may have more value sitting as a backup for a year on a $5.5M deal vs. starting and coming back to earth. A QB's value is based on their last series of performances and time isn't always indicative of a decrease in value. Look at Mike Glennon for instance. 
Hmmmm, I think Foles' value is hottest right now, and if the Eagles tell him to play out 2018 as Wentz' backup, he might let them know he's willing to "retire" again.
IMO the "I thought about retiring" story is code for, "Demand for me was almost nonexistent after Fisher drafted Goff and released me, but I want to make it seem like that was MY choice"....

Quote: @Jor-El said:
Every time someone says something to the effect that Foles' performance in the playoffs was a "product of the Eagles system" or "good fit with the QB-friendly system", I think: then is Wentz really that good? I'm not really trying to rip Wentz apart, but when we hear that Foles was in a perfect situation or something - and we are going to hear that a LOT now - doesn't it mean Wentz was also? Or that the right situation does not require a #1 overall pick to win?
The biggest criticism of Foles is going to essentially be that he didn't excel on Jeff Fisher's Rams team. Well...who did??
I doubt a trade of Wentz will happen but it would be fascinating if it did, in part because it would involve compensation on such a high level (maybe not Herschel Walker trade level, but close), and because seeing if Wentz played nearly as well in a different spot would be a great study of whether talent is more important than situation.
Good chance Eagles will play Wentz all through 2018 and if they make the playoffs, they will be talking about how a QB making his first start in the playoffs hurts their chances.
Wentz is significantly better than Foles.   The iggles had to game plan to avoid foles weaknesses and play to his strengths without using stuff that was recently seen.  with good QBs it doesnt matter what you did last week,  you dont have to trick the defense,  you just go beat them.   I would doubt the eagles would see anywhere near the same success next year with foles as teams would have seen what he can do and game plan to expose him.  much less to expose with Wentz.

They won't trade him.  Foles might be the starter at the beginning of the Eagles' season.  Wentz will miss the entire off-season, right?  

It just seems too risky to depend on Wentz to be healthy enough to start opening day.  They can always trade him late in the offseason if need be.

If I were them I'd trade Foles as soon as I could get someone to bite. His performance in the Super Bowl should be seen as currency more than anything else. We're talking about a QB on his 4th team who was contemplating retirement last year. They can always bring in another #2.