Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newman says he'll be back
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Hmm.  Not sure how I feel about this.  His age is starting to show,  how much more decline will we see in a year?   His leadership is irreplaceable, but we need to get better at CB depth.
Dunno, didn't see any issues this year.  He played part time at the nickel and i don't remember any glaring flaws.  You want more CB depth, well, Newman is quality depth and great to have on the team. 
he gets beaten more than he should.  his game has fallen off the last couple years.  still a nice player, but as his skills continue to leave him,  his knowledge and experience will only go so far.

as far as him being a coach,  he has always been mentioned as a guy that Waynes and Rhodes have gone to for advice.  and I know that I read stories about him and Alexander working together on stuff.  Hes a good dude to have in the locker room no doubt.
Question, other than getting beat deep by Jefferys, what plays stand out?
nothing off the top of my head,   just like what plays did he make this year that stand out. I just remember at several occasions this year thinking that he is showing his age.
Kinda like Barr, Robison, Waynes, Alexander...  none popped, but were essential parts of the #1 D. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Hmm.  Not sure how I feel about this.  His age is starting to show,  how much more decline will we see in a year?   His leadership is irreplaceable, but we need to get better at CB depth.
Dunno, didn't see any issues this year.  He played part time at the nickel and i don't remember any glaring flaws.  You want more CB depth, well, Newman is quality depth and great to have on the team. 
he gets beaten more than he should.  his game has fallen off the last couple years.  still a nice player, but as his skills continue to leave him,  his knowledge and experience will only go so far.

as far as him being a coach,  he has always been mentioned as a guy that Waynes and Rhodes have gone to for advice.  and I know that I read stories about him and Alexander working together on stuff.  Hes a good dude to have in the locker room no doubt.
Question, other than getting beat deep by Jefferys, what plays stand out?
nothing off the top of my head,   just like what plays did he make this year that stand out. I just remember at several occasions this year thinking that he is showing his age.
Kinda like Barr, Robison, Waynes, Alexander...  none popped, but were essential parts of the #1 D. 
if you say so.  I dont recall thinking father time has caught up with those guys to often,  (well a couple times with BRob, but his position is much more demanding physically and he typically plays better than the kids so ...)  as far as Waynes he made plenty of plays, especially early in the season when he was getting tested much more often.  Alexander.... hes just young and is a situational player,  I cant really say good or bad on him.  if you think Newman isnt becoming a liability in coverage then thats your prerogative,  I will disagree.   He still can contribute,  but I dont want the team to say oh good hes back and then pencil him in as a lock for the 53,   we need to keep looking at DBs in the draft and FA.

I would pencil him in as a lock if he signs for another year.  IMO, he can't hold up as a starter all year, but he isn't gonna shit the bed if we need a 1 week starter or a backup nickel or safety in a pinch.  Solid in all 3 areas.  Father time is catching him, but more in the would he hold up all year rather than can't cover shit.

Quote: @greediron said:
I would pencil him in as a lock if he signs for another year.  IMO, he can't hold up as a starter all year, but he isn't gonna shit the bed if we need a 1 week starter or a backup nickel or safety in a pinch.  Solid in all 3 areas.  Father time is catching him, but more in the would he hold up all year rather than can't cover shit.
Interesting thought.  Maybe he'd provide depth to the S position.