Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keenum
Quote: @TBro said:
@Canthony said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Lamar Jackson throws the ball a lot better than people give him credit for and operated a tough offense at Louisville. He'll make boneheaded decisions with the ball (e.g. bowl game) but its not due to his inability to be a potential NFL QB.

I like Lamar Jackson. He demonstrates the skill needed to be an NFL QB IMO. The kid can sling it and has confidence I like to see in a QB
I've seen some mocks with him going as high as number 6 to the Jets. I think he definitely has more arm talent then Teddy, and his running ability is scary good, but I would worry about his skinny body holding up in the NFL because he is doing most of the running in Louisville's RPO offense. Cam is a lot bigger and has taken a pounding which I think has impacted his overall effectiveness. Can Lamar be effective as mainly a passer and an occasional scrambler?
Can he be as effective against players that are as athletic or more so than he is... IMO not likely.  at louisville he played against some good competition,  but not like he will face in the NFL.  I dont know that he was dominant enough in college at what he does to see that game translate to a good pro career, certainly not sure he will ever be able to live up to a top 10 draft position... but then again I never think an option type QB should be taken that high.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@TBro said:
@Canthony said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Lamar Jackson throws the ball a lot better than people give him credit for and operated a tough offense at Louisville. He'll make boneheaded decisions with the ball (e.g. bowl game) but its not due to his inability to be a potential NFL QB.

I like Lamar Jackson. He demonstrates the skill needed to be an NFL QB IMO. The kid can sling it and has confidence I like to see in a QB
I've seen some mocks with him going as high as number 6 to the Jets. I think he definitely has more arm talent then Teddy, and his running ability is scary good, but I would worry about his skinny body holding up in the NFL because he is doing most of the running in Louisville's RPO offense. Cam is a lot bigger and has taken a pounding which I think has impacted his overall effectiveness. Can Lamar be effective as mainly a passer and an occasional scrambler?
Can he be as effective against players that are as athletic or more so than he is... IMO not likely.  at louisville he played against some good competition,  but not like he will face in the NFL.  I dont know that he was dominant enough in college at what he does to see that game translate to a good pro career, certainly not sure he will ever be able to live up to a top 10 draft position... but then again I never think an option type QB should be taken that high.
He isn't an option QB though? He ran a pro style system at Louisville...  

I'd be worried about his durability, but athleticism will not be his downfall. An NFL strength program should be able to help him gain some good weight without limiting his speed. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@TBro said:
@Canthony said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I'd be worried about his durability, but athleticism will not be his downfall. An NFL strength program should be able to help him gain some good weight without limiting his speed. 
I dont see many of their games,  but what I saw they were using the run pass option quite heavily with him rolling out and keeping the ball if the LB on that side sank into an underneath coverage when he kept the ball.  I think it was the game against the Noles that comes to mind,  I think I only watched them once or twice at the most this year though.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@TBro said:
@Canthony said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I dont see many of their games,  but what I saw they were using the run pass option quite heavily with him rolling out and keeping the ball if the LB on that side sank into an underneath coverage when he kept the ball.  I think it was the game against the Noles that comes to mind,  I think I only watched them once or twice at the most this year though.
Louisville runs one of the more complicated pro style offenses in D1 football. Using a lot of play action and roll outs are the norm but they incorporated some spread concepts as well. Of course they are going to utilize Lamar's legs when they're able to since its a huge advantage. But Petrino's goal was to get him to throw the ball first and foremost. 

I don't think he is worth the risk in the first round. He has RGIII written all over him IMO. 

Quote: @TBro said:
I don't think he is worth the risk in the first round. He has RGIII written all over him IMO. 
I think draft position matter immensely. I wouldn't touch Jackson in the top 10. But in the 20's or early 30's the upside starts to outweigh the potential risks. Assuming each team is picking the best player sequentially (they don't) at some point you need to draft for upside vs. immediate production.  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@TBro said:
I think draft position matter immensely. I wouldn't touch Jackson in the top 10. But in the 20's or early 30's the upside starts to outweigh the potential risks. Assuming each team is picking the best player sequentially (they don't) at some point you need to draft for upside vs. immediate production.  
Definitely. I agree he's not a top 10 talent. If he doesn't get selected by Arizona at 15, he could easily fall out of the first round completely unless another team that really needs a QB trades back into the 1st round to grab him. Similar to what we did to get Teddy. My concerns with him are things I don't think you can correct with coaching or time in the league. I think he relies too much on his athletic ability. He quickly bails out of the pocket at the earliest sign of pressure, and his decision making is head scratching at times. Teams will take the run away from him and force him to pass where he shows a lot of inconsistency in his accuracy. Like most coaching staffs looking to protect their QB, I think he will be coached to stay in the pocket and I just don't think that suits his game. He needs to run to be effective and that's when he becomes vulnerable with his slight build. RGIII had a great first year and then his injuries and lack of development caught up with him. Not the same guy, but I see too many similarities to risk a first rounder on him. A lot of teams are desperate to strike gold at the QB position so he will get his shot and I hope if works out for him and he proves me wrong. 

I'll say it again. Cam Newton was, is and will always be more accurate than Jackson. That's not a compliment.