Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homegrown Vikings defense on Super Bowl push: ‘This is our destiny’
There was a time not too long ago when the vaunted Vikings defense was the laughing stock of the NFL.
In fact, before coach Mike Zimmer arrived in 2014, the Vikings were fresh off a season in which they finished dead last in scoring defense (30.0 points a game) and second to last in team defense (397.6 yards a game).
How have things changed under Zimmer?
Well, under the 61-year-old defensive guru, the Vikings have steadily improved, culminating this season when they led the league in scoring defense (15.8 points) and team defense (275.9 yards).
“We have definitely grown a lot over the last few years,” said defensive end Brian Robison, at 11 seasons the longest tenured player on the team. “There were some guys here that were before Coach Zimmer, so I think a lot of it is a testament to what he’s done with these guys and really brought everyone up to speed.
“Even for a guy like myself that’s been around for a long time, learning little ins and outs of offenses that he’s been able to teach me has made me a smarter player.”
“We got better over the years,” added defensive end Everson Griffen, another player Zimmer inherited. “We really held ourselves to a higher standard by doing things together, being accountable, holding each other accountable. … Just going out there and playing ball and doing it together.”
While Zimmer obviously gets credit for orchestrating the turnaround, general manager Rick Spielman deserves kudos for putting the pieces in place. Since taking over as general manager a little more than six years ago, he has built arguably the NFL’s most-talented defense, primarily through the draft...

https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/19/ho...r-destiny/

THE ZIMMER EFFECT >The Vikings’ defense has gone from worst to first since Mike Zimmer was hired as head coach prior to the 2014 season. Here’s a statistical look at the improvement:
SEASON  SCORING AVG. (RANK)  TOTAL YDS. (RANK)
2013          30.0 (32)                           397.6 (31)
2014          21.4 (11)                           344.7 (14)
2015*         18.9 (5)                             344.2 (13th)
2016          19.2 (6)                             314.9 (3)
2017*         15.8 (1)                             275.9 (1)
  • Won NFC North