Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greg Cosell NFL Films: 'Harrison Smith and Sendejo best safety pair in the NFL'
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
Sendejo used to be ... not very good. That's why we were always trying to replace him. He was a hitter, but nothing else. He was not good at all in coverage. Always arrived late. And sometimes he hit his own teammates. But he has gotten a lot better.  He is now a real asset and the young guys behind him are not even close.
he was never as bad as his naysayers tried to make him out to be.  
Totally agree, but nor is he as good as he's being hyped right now. 

But I will say this. There isn't a player on the Vikings as good as this balanced supporting cast is making him look right now. When it comes to sports teams, I'm a huge believer in synergy, in the idea that the team is better than the sum of its parts. You put Keenum on another team without this offense and these receivers, he's not the same QB. Same with Sendejo, Diggs, Thielen, Kendricks, Reiff...everyone actually. It's why free agency can be such a crap shoot sometimes. GMs sometimes don't adequately factor in context, supporting cast. 
yeah,  i am betting that the majority of the national media that are making the elevated claims likely never watched a snap of his until Sunday.  Ive said it for about 4-5 years now that he isnt as bad  as some say,  but he isnt a world beater either.  he would be replaceable with a higher draft pick or maybe if they were to get lucky,  but you cant afford pro bowlers at every position and he is a very damn good player for the price and certainly serviceable in Zimmers D.

I think Zim has changed the way Sendejo plays very similar to the way he changed Rhodes.  Sendejo has always been a decent thumper, even on special teams.  Now he's noticed for his coverage skills, and still is a tough guy thumper vs the run.

He's now a way more complete player than the first couples seasons with the Vikes.  I've always like him.  He's a 100mph player that's only gotten better.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
Sendejo used to be ... not very good. That's why we were always trying to replace him. He was a hitter, but nothing else. He was not good at all in coverage. Always arrived late. And sometimes he hit his own teammates. But he has gotten a lot better.  He is now a real asset and the young guys behind him are not even close.
he was never as bad as his naysayers tried to make him out to be.   very few looked at him without trying to compare him to the best in the league which is really a dumb way to try and grade a player.   he made most the plays he was asked to make and rarely made mistakes,  pretty much what you ask a safety to do.   even the best get burned once in a while.
Very few are as bad as some will make them out to be.

He is very solid now, doesn't make mistakes and allows Zimmer to move Harry around at will.

But I will also add, Harris has really come on this year as well.  He obviously isn't as good as Sendejo, but he has made some really big plays for us this year.
he needs more reps IMO,  i dont think he will ever be the physical player that Dejo is,  but his length might make him a better overall player,  but Dejos hitting does get noticed by other teams receivers.  Zims D has so much going on I dont think a player off the bench will ever really surprise us in that they just wont have the comfort with the system that comes from repetition.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
I think Zim has changed the way Sendejo plays very similar to the way he changed Rhodes.  Sendejo has always been a decent thumper, even on special teams.  Now he's noticed for his coverage skills, and still is a tough guy thumper vs the run.

He's now a way more complete player than the first couples seasons with the Vikes.  I've always like him.  He's a 100mph player that's only gotten better.
Great point.  The ability of our DBs to cover is amazing.  Mac has really stepped up this year.  That pick by Sendejo... beautiful.  The pass defenses by Mac, Waynes, Sendejo and Harris have been huge this year.

Correct me if Im wrong - but I have heard that Sandejo is like the Defensive QB out there for the DB's  - he is making sure everyone is on the same page and the correct position etc. for the defensive calls that come in. That is one of the reasons we had mental mistakes and miscommunication etc. as Zim put it, in the second half - and it was particularly noticeable when Sandejo had to leave the game. 

Is that a fair assumption? Could swear I heard somewhere like this after the game.

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
Correct me if Im wrong - but I have heard that Sandejo is like the Defensive QB out there for the DB's  - he is making sure everyone is on the same page and the correct position etc. for the defensive calls that come in. That is one of the reasons we had mental mistakes and miscommunication etc. as Zim put it, in the second half - and it was particularly noticeable when Sandejo had to leave the game. 

Is that a fair assumption? Could swear I heard somewhere like this after the game.
heard the same.  he makes the calls and unfortunately Zim doesnt take the same chances with Harry when Dejo is off the field   His return is important, hopefully this year, he takes a TD to the house. 

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:

Wouldn't surprise me. I've heard Tom say that Harry is really shy. May not be the kind of guy comfortable in that role. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@NorthernCalVike said:

Wouldn't surprise me. I've heard Tom say that Harry is really shy. May not be the kind of guy comfortable in that role. 
I doubt that is the reason, I imagine he wouldn't have issue communicating with teammates, IMO it is more because he is moving and close to the line so often, he doesn't have the same vantage point as Sendejo.

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@NorthernCalVike said:

I doubt that is the reason, I imagine he wouldn't have issue communicating with teammates, IMO it is more because he is moving and close to the line so often, he doesn't have the same vantage point as Sendejo.
I suspect you're right about vantage point. And now that I think about it, the shyness thing is pretty silly at this level. Forget I said that. :-)

Sendejo has been bashed a lot by Vikings fans. I never thought he was a bad player. I do think he has gotten better, and the defense suffers without him.

Hopefully hes back on the field again this Sunday!