Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green Bay is Seriously Shaking Things Up!
Quote: @Riphawkins said:
Anyone think Del Rio ends up here as DC if he doesn’t land another HC position?
Here as in MN or GB to backfill The Dom? I'm not sure how McCarthy will want to pivot schematically in GB and if Jack fits that bill or not. We'll find out soon enough.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:

I don’t think their talent is as bad as the coaching has made them appear.  First thing they should do is switch to a 4-3 on defense.
I would disagree on that...  the Packers have some serious talent issues at key positions.  Damarious Randall (1st round pick) and Quenten Rollins (2nd round pick) haven't developed with any consistency at CB and Kevin King is a rookie.  They chose not to keep Casey Hayward (led the league in INTs in 2016 with the Chargers) or Micah Hyde (5 INTs this season with the Bills) from past drafts.  They haven't found a pass rusher to replace Clay Matthews who is a shell of his former self and can't stay healthy...  they don't have any playmakers along the DL except Mike Daniels...  recently drafted Jerel Worthy (2nd round pick) and Datone Jones (1st round pick) have been huge busts.
It's tough to field a good defense when you don't have any good CBs and lack a consistent pass rush.  They are pretty solid everywhere else...

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@Purplewhizz said:

I don’t think their talent is as bad as the coaching has made them appear.  First thing they should do is switch to a 4-3 on defense.
I would disagree on that...  the Packers have some serious talent issues at key positions.  Damarious Randall (1st round pick) and Quenten Rollins (2nd round pick) haven't developed with any consistency at CB and Kevin King is a rookie.  They chose not to keep Casey Hayward (led the league in INTs in 2016 with the Chargers) or Micah Hyde (5 INTs this season with the Bills) from past drafts.  They haven't found a pass rusher to replace Clay Matthews who is a shell of his former self and can't stay healthy...  they don't have any playmakers along the DL except Mike Daniels...  recently drafted Jerel Worthy (2nd round pick) and Datone Jones (1st round pick) have been huge busts.
It's tough to field a good defense when you don't have any good CBs and lack a consistent pass rush.  They are pretty solid everywhere else...

Thats kind of my point.  Those guys havent developed in large part due to coaching.  What would the Vikings secondary be like without Zimmer?

And the head coach got an extension!!!!

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Riphawkins said:
Here as in MN or GB to backfill The Dom? I'm not sure how McCarthy will want to pivot schematically in GB and if Jack fits that bill or not. We'll find out soon enough.
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Riphawkins said:
Here as inn GB. 

Quote: @medaille said:
@Riphawkins said:
I think Zimmer will make a strong effort to hire someone that he's worked with in the past that is familiar with his system.  Does Del Rio fit that bill?  I think he'd probably be more likely to go to an offensive minded head coach where he would just be given the defense to control as he saw fit.
I should have been more specific. It’s a GB thread so I meant do you think he may end up there.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@Wetlander said:
@Purplewhizz said:

Thats kind of my point.  Those guys havent developed in large part due to coaching.  What would the Vikings secondary be like without Zimmer?
Well, Worthy was traded to the Patriots and didn't last long on their roster.  Belicheck and Matty P. are known as defensive gurus and didn't think he was worth keeping on the roster.  

Datone Jones made it through training camp and preseason before getting cut in the final roster trim down.  Apparently Zimmer didn't think he was good enough to beat out Shamar Stephen, Tom Johnson, or rookie Jaleel Johnson.

The point I was trying to make is that a number of early round picks didn't pan out and that seems like more bad drafting than a coaching issue... 

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
I think Leslie Frazier would be a good fit for the Packers.
So would Hue Jackson!  Wink

... & the purge continues on the other side of the ball!  B) 
Packers dump a pair of key offensive assistants
The Packers soon will have a new football boss. His primary subordinate apparently is doing what he can to straighten up the workplace before that happens.
The Packers, at the behest presumably of coach Mike McCarthy, have fired offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett and quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt (pictured with Mason Crosby), according to ESPN.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/03/packers-dump-a-pair-of-key-offensive-assistants/