Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: -12 in the backyard right now...
for those not from here.... i just got done grilling 2 batches of pork chops,  keep in mind these had been brined so their salt content is a little higher than normal and they came from about 50 degrees in the house,  well in the 10 minutes that the first batch cooked... the second batch froze into the pan that I brought them out in,  and they took about 3 to 5 minutes longer to cook than the first batch.

my bourbon coke on ice... well at first that felt warm on my lips and tongue when i was drinking it,  but after about 20 minutes outside... well it was froze as well.

Im not bitching, in fact i kind of like this weather because it really keeps people at home and puts a damper on flu season.  nothing stops cold and flu season like some arctic weather,   and its a little chest thumping for us to talk about all the shit we do outside when the rest of the country would be screaming for FEMA to air lift them to a more tropical climate... but really its just part of being who we are,  in fact I think even the floridians would acclimate in a week or two and start to enjoy the positives of -20 weather.  ( no humidity,  the most sparkling evening skies you can imagine for one)

Yes Jimmy, it’s a “dry” cold!  Wink

Quote: @Kentis said:
Yes Jimmy, it’s a “dry” cold!  Wink
you joke... i will take -20 over +15 with high humidity any day... this cold can be kept at bay with decent clothing and some seasoned blood,  that humid cold cuts through anything and chills a person to the bone.  we get both kinds and I will take this all winter over the other.

You literally couldn't pay me to live in that weather any longer. I did my penance by being born and raised in Upper Michigan. The ability to be outside year round down here in Florida is amazing. My wife and I and friends ate outside at a restaurant last night and it was gorgeous. My son and his gf swam in the ocean a few days ago when they visited. Its a great lifestyle and so glad we made the move down here 4+ years ago. 

-29.6 at 6:27AM....

About time to go light the smoker for the tailgate fare.  I might have to throw the insulation on it today or i will burn a lot of fuel keeping it up to temp.

I look at that weather and think about our ancesters surviving it while living in sod houses.  Its hard to believe anything can survive it. Even cattle and wildlife find a way.

I built houses in Minnesota and worked outside year around before HAPPILY ran away.  But good on you guys for freezing your pork chops and liquor.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
My wife and I had our pullovers on today, 62 degrees. Brisk wind. 

#ThugLife
You're welcome for the softball....

This is the time of year I envy you Floridians. I loved traveling down your way for biz Jan-April. Perfection. 

I'm at that time of life where we're too young to be snowbirds yet old enough to dislike winter after Xmas 

#purgatory
Its the May through October thats intolerable down there.

-23 here now with a wind chill factor making it -41. You get to where you want to go in a hurry. I just walked to the office. It was a brisk walk !! 

Happy New year to everyone

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
My wife and I had our pullovers on today, 62 degrees. Brisk wind. 

#ThugLife
You're welcome for the softball....

This is the time of year I envy you Floridians. I loved traveling down your way for biz Jan-April. Perfection. 

I'm at that time of life where we're too young to be snowbirds yet old enough to dislike winter after Xmas 

#purgatory
Its the May through October thats intolerable down there.
80's in November would be freaky for us, but for those that can tolerate the heat year round, its paradise. Not sure thats for us cause we love the change of seasons so much. But once you're out of winter, may not ever want to go back lol! 

MY SIL has it down pretty well...They just left Mpls for their condo in Phx for the next 6 weeks...That sounds about perfect for an hiatus from winter. 

And Sticky, it was -14 below in the suburbs this morning if it makes you feel even better. 

My ideal would be 3 months of each season.  I like spring and autumn best, but there are things to like about every season.  I like winter just fine as long as it doesn’t last 5 months.