Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paging BarrNone55....
Hey Barr I have a question and I hope it doesn't offend you but I wanted to see if maybe you were interested in an experiment?

Since our early days we have always struggled with those that wanted all the news that people gathered and those that thought it inundated the forum. This has been a strange back and forth that I have tried many different ways to try and balance. Because inevitably when I ask someone to slow down on the news posting the person gets offended that I would ask them. The thought is usually that I don't value their contribution which couldn't be further from the truth. Additionally other posters bug out and be like "WHAT?!?!?!?! YOU WANT LESS VIKINGS NEWS???!!!!" to which I am already the baddie in most people's minds. Then there are the others that cannot understand why I allow someone to post so many things and their puppy pictures got pushed to the 3rd page. Dont' get butthurt I like puppy pictures. In fact I have a hilarious video of my dog trying to eat the leaf blower this weekend. Will post later. 

So given this back and forth and given the tech on this board I am wondering if for a bit we could try a new approach just as an experiment. Could we post all the gathered news in a new forum (I will create it) and that way if people want to suppress it temporarily so that they can see all the puppy pics, food pics, and Amelia Earhart updates? (I never learned how to spell her name and I am too lazy to look it up). That way we can see how it goes. We could do it for a week and then see what people think. For most people I don't believe this would change anything because they likely would not suppress the forum and it would show up in their recent discussions view anyway. 

Disclaimer:
This experiment goes beyond the obvious "How does it go to post news in a news forum" and is also an experiment on people's real thoughts about censorship. Since it seems to be a big topic these days. 
Is this thing on?

IIRC, isn't there a way to automatically post threads off the RSS feed? Maybe that's the solution. Have a news board fed automagically.

There is but it is typically slower than rabid fans can post them. And people seem to like the opportunity to "bring the news" or to have a fellow poster ring the news. So I haven't enabled it. Also with less active news items, like let's say cake baking, you get less news sources covering the fascinating world of baking cakes. But with NFL news you get a lot of sources reporting the same topic and you have to be really developed at creating smart rss feeds to weed out some of that... Which unfortunately I am not the best at. We could try that too if you like. I know at one point you had said that your situation was likely to change soon and that you likely wouldn't be able to post as much at that point. 

I'm flexible. What ever works best for you! 

Ok I set up a simple news feed to the forum News. Let's see how it performs against your skills