Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 cheers for Vikings QB Case Keenum from everyone but his coach
For Vikings QB Case Keenum, stature rises even while status uncertain
Case Keenum’s celebrity status is reaching new heights even if his hold on the Vikings’ starting quarterback job remains up in the air.
A day after leading Minnesota to a 30-23 victory at Detroit on Thanksgiving Day, Keenum attended a Timberwolves game and received a standing ovation from the Target Center crowd when introduced. Appreciative fans didn’t seem to care that earlier that day Vikings coach Mike Zimmer wouldn’t guarantee anything beyond Keenum starting Sunday’s game at Atlanta.
On Wednesday at Winter Park, it was more of the same. Zimmer was asked if there is anything Keenum could do to be named the outright starter over Teddy Bridgewater, who has not played since suffering a torn ACL in August 2016 and has been the backup the past three games after being activated off the physically unable to perform list.
“We’re just going to keep going one week at a time,” Zimmer said. “That’s the way it is. I’m not looking to pull him, but every week’s a different week in this league.”
Keenum is 7-2 as a starter for the 9-2 Vikings. No wonder sports fans in the Twin Cities are believers.When Keenum was introduced from a courtside seat during the second quarter of the Timberwolves’ 109-97 loss to Miami last Friday and shown on the jumbotron, he got perhaps the biggest cheer of the night.
“People immediately stood up and started clapping,” said Fox Sports North sideline reporter Marney Gellner, who interviewed Keenum later in the game. “They were waving to him. They were pointing to where he was sitting. It was a pretty boisterous ovation.”
Plenty of Vikings players have attended Timberwolves games in recent years and been introduced, including Adam Thielen, Everson Griffen, Kyle Rudolph and Xavier Rhodes.
“I can’t think of anyone (from the Vikings) who has gotten a bigger ovation in recent years,” Gellner said. “People wanted to show how much they’ve appreciated (Keenum). They just wanted to shower love on him. It was really cool.”
http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/29/vik...k-starter/

I wish there was video of this ovation somewhere, curious to see it.

But what his coach is doing is working. So why change that?

I don't get the hell bent desire from some to try and force Zim to box himself into something he doesn't want to do.

Case was deserving of a standing ovation, ( more so than the wolves...I watched that puke fest of a game )  but he is the backup QB,  and is doing just fine as is.  It doesn't seem to bother him so why the folk is this a weekly story for every fricking sports writer covering the team?

The lazy fucks need to get a new bone to chew on,  this is getting really old and it will only keep a potential controversy from dying down and fading away.  The media are being the constant reminder that Teddy is waiting...not the coaches or fans.

I see a distinction between naming Case starter for the year (not on board with that) vs Zimmer appearing minimally "cool" to Keenum publicly.

I don't recall superlatives showered on Case from the coach that frankly at times are deserved for the best QB'ing we've had here since Favre. Its the ultimate team game, but no way this team is 9/2 without Keenum having a great run. 

That said, MN fans are loving him up (at least for now) and by all accounts the locker room is solidly behind Case too.

We were all hoping for a feel good story about a Viking QB this year - and we got one. Just not the one we expected. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I wish there was video of this ovation somewhere, curious to see it.
Couldn't find it...Here's an interview though:

I'm very surprised there isn't a video of that ovations somewhere on youtube, but I can't find it either.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I don't get the hell bent desire from some to try and force Zim to box himself into something he doesn't want to do.

Case was deserving of a standing ovation, ( more so than the wolves...I watched that puke fest of a game )  but he is the backup QB,  and is doing just fine as is.  It doesn't seem to bother him so why the folk is this a weekly story for every fricking sports writer covering the team?

The lazy fucks need to get a new bone to chew on,  this is getting really old and it will only keep a potential controversy from dying down and fading away.  The media are being the constant reminder that Teddy is waiting...not the coaches or fans.
Typical MN media.  Not happy unless they are miserable.  Zimmer doesn't offer superlatives on any of his players for the most part.  So not sure what they want other than to keep bitching about the only thing they can find to bitch about.

I question the authors account of the question that was asked of Zimmer.  There is no quotes around a question but it makes it sound like what he said ( the author) was the question asked of Zimmer.  That type of journalism really creates a mess.    And like if said before why is this even asked?   Why does Zimmer have to be asked if Case is the starter?