Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Jim Nabors / Gomer Pyle has passed away
Jim came to be a friend of ours while we lived in Hawaii.  My wife met him while walking the dogs in the beach and they became friends.  She also managed a few restaurants that he frequented.  Later, Jim and I would share the same doctor and we met seperately through that.  It was a while later that he figured out that we were married.
He was one of the few genuinely nice people you will meet.  Hr was always friendly and polite to everyone.  It was fun to watch people who would walk by and suddenly realize it was him.  The looks on their faces were always fun to see.  Most everyone recognized him.

Although he never really came out as a gay, he kept it quiet and almost always appeared in public with a group of people. I couldnt tell who his other half was until my wife pointed him out.

We talked a few times and I found some things interesting.  He remembered almost all of his episodes he had done including most of lines.  He was close friends with a small circle including Florence Henderson, Carol Burnette and her cast and of course the Mayberry bunch.
He was Grand Marshal of many of the Indy 500 parades and usually had many of his famous friends there.  He brought our doc one year and its a hilarious story.
He gave me a signed picture and CD to give to my mother when she retired.  He personalized it and she still has it on her wall. I never asked him for it, he just did it.  That was just like Jim.

Very sorry to hear he left us. 

When we moved to Montana over 20 years ago, Jim was a regular here in Whitefish.  He had an "estate" up on the road to The Big Mountain ski resort (renamed Whitefish Mountain Resort) that he shared with his husband, Stan.  He was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.  I visited with him in the grocery store, in the airport.  He introduced me to Stan one time.  He was NOT Gomer Pyle in person, he was just a down-to-earth person who was friendly and you would welcome as your neighbor in a small town.