Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Case Keenum week to week as he goes win to win. Hey, it works.
Minnesota’s past two starting quarterbacks, tacit or otherwise, were knocked out for the season by knee injuries, Teddy Bridgewater in August 2016, Sam Bradford this season for the third time in his career. That uncertainty is what pulled Keenum, an on-and-off starter in five-plus seasons.
That might be reason enough not to anoint Keenum the permanent starter. The Vikings have two franchise quarterbacks on the roster and neither is the guy leading the team to its best season in years. Bridgewater, for whom the Vikings traded up in the 2014 NFL Draft, is now a backup who hasn’t played in anything but an exhibition since a memorably cold afternoon in January 2016.
Minnesota controls its own fate in the division and holds playoff tiebreakers on the Rams (8-3) and New Orleans Saints (8-3). Heavy lifting remains, but victories over the Falcons (7-4) and Carolina Panthers (8-3) the next two weeks would set the stage for a final boss meeting in the playoffs with the Philadelphia Eagles, 10-1 and winners of nine straight.
With a path to the NFC Championship game and little room for error, Zimmer’s hesitance to pass his quarterback a valentine in public seems prudent. Frankly, Zimmer probably should still be eating the same thing for breakfast that he had Oct. 9 in Chicago, the day Keenum relieved an immobile Bradford in a 20-17 victory.
The Vikings haven’t lost since, and Keenum remains week to week while playing the best football of his career: 2,476 passing yards with 14 touchdowns, five interceptions and a 96.2 QB rating.
“I never said Bradford was the starter for the season,” Zimmer said. “Everybody assumed it, but I don’t know that I have to say that.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/30/vik...-it-works/

Leadership can be a delicate art, even in football. On the topic of getting Bridgewater into a game, Zimmer was vague. “Um, just — I don’t know, we’ll see,” he said. “We’re going to keep playing this thing out and see how it goes.”
That too is a week-to-week decision. It’s hard to argue with him.