Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Take vs the Rams

Here's the issue I've always had with guys like this that break down video: he mentions how strong Zimmer's defensive system is and how it worked well against the Rams. But most of the breakdown mentions how McVay didn't employ what could have been successful and the weaknesses of the D and how it could have been exploited. It doesn't work that way. The Rams, as he mentions, tried to do what they do well and what has worked for them....Minnesota's D shut it down. Its what Goff is comfortable with. Its not so simple to just switch it up to something that might be more successful but isn't a strength of your team (the offense in this case). He also doesn't factor in Minnesota slowly increasing its lead in the game and how an offense (Rams) has to switch things up when they are behind. The Vikings also had a monstrous advantage in time of possession: 37:22 to 22:38. Big part of their success. 

I know all of these young guys online think if they have access to the 'All-22' video, they are now coaches. I just find myself not buying what they are trying to sell me on their takes. 

I enjoyed the breakdown, and he hits some great points.  But I also agree with Sticky.  I don't think beating Zimmer's D is as simple as it sounds. 

While we can recognize that those dig routes are sometimes open versus the LBs, most of the time they aren't.  Why?  Because the front 4 do a damn good job of stopping the run.  All defenses have weak spots, but the Vikings do something very well that we don't often see consistently from most defenses.  They aren't selfish.  Each man does his job, expecting the others to do theirs. 

Rhodes really doesn't seem to care about numbers.  He gave up some plays this weekend but was happy because the team got a win.  Hunter isn't bitching about getting his numbers now that he is playing base DE.  Robison often draws the attention of 2 blockers to free up someone else for the sack/pressure.  Smith will set the edge to turn the guy back inside to the teeth of the D.  Waynes tackles with the best of them.  Barr takes away passes rather than making huge splash plays.

The other thing on the Rams specifically, we played this at home and likely would face them at home again in the playoffs.  Our crowd made it tough on their offense.  And Zimmers D didn't tip their hand until after Goff and McVay got a look and set their protections early in the play clock.