Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings have the formula to slow down Ingram, Kamara in passing game
Last season, the Vikings were still solid against opposing running backs ranking eighth, but they have cut the yards per game against down by 25 percent. At the center of the success is linebacker Anthony Barr, who has put together a solid 2017 season, ranking in the top 20 in pass coverage by Pro Football Focus metrics.
“A lot of teams it seems like nowadays [running backs are] their second or third leading receiver, so you have to treat them as such and make sure to have a man on them at all times.” Barr said, “I think it’s more difficult for running backs to get open because they’re coming out of the backfield, it takes longer for the play to develop and you can only run so many routes. So I don’t think they’re as threatening in the passing game as receivers are, but if you don’t give them attention, they can hurt you.”
Barr, who is in his fourth year, said that he has learned from experience how to read certain screens and short pass plays by focusing on the backfield.
“There are some screens that are more difficult than others. I’m not going to say which ones those are, but it all comes back to reading your keys,” Barr said. “Running backs, they kind of tell you everything you need to know. They kind of paint the picture for you on a given offensive play.
“Just understanding what the situation is. Down and distance is always a big factor. Then let the running back lead to you the play.”
Barr’s cohort Eric Kendricks has quickly become known as one of the league’s best cover linebackers. He ranked 26th of 81 linebackers in coverage this year by PFF scores and was slotted even higher last year.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...ing-backs/