Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If The Season Ended Today
1. Who is your Vikings MVP? - You can only pick 1 MVP, so no "the whole offensive line".  Pick the one player who has meant the most to the Vikings overall success.

2.  What are our top 3 positions of need (in order) going into the draft?

When I got to thinking about these questions, I quickly realized neither is as "cut and dried" as it has been most years.  I've got my thoughts, but I'm extremely curious to hear what others think on the subjects.  

For full transparency, as of today, I'm giving the MVP to Case.  Where would we be without him and his play, regardless of what you think of his "ceiling"?  He's led the team to a 6-2 record, a 2 game division lead, helped produce 2 of the NFL's most productive WR's and led a top 10 (I believe) offense.  I think a lot of teams in the NFL would happily accept his level of play at the QB position right now.  Whether you think he'll be the starter for 1 more week or the rest of the season is irrelevant to the question.  From week 1 until week 10, who's our team MVP? 

As for the draft positions I'm listing them in order as such - QB, CB, S

1.  The QB selection has to be high on our list UNLESS we can convince Case to come back as our backup again.  But I believe he'll get another shot at a starting QB spot somewhere else.  There's just too many QB needy teams out there.  I'd have absolutely no problem going into next year with Teddy, Case and Kyle being our QB trio, I just don't see it happening.  Adding a coveted young QB to our team could potentially backfire, but other teams seem to make it work and turn it into a positive one way or another.  I think Teddy would see it and use it as a positive actually.  I think he's seen the importance of what quality QB depth means in the NFL and would be perfectly OK with drafted talent.  

2. With Newman probably retiring, we'll have room and probable need for more CB depth.  Add in the fact that it usually takes 2-3 years before guys can make the adjustment to the NFL game, let's keep adding depth and talent to this pool.

3.  S (also tempted to put G here) - The reason I listed S first is simply because of depth.  Harry and Dejo are our starters and both are playing very well.  Behind them though.....  A young stud S that can watch and learn, plus step in when an injury inevitably happens, would be a great addition IMO.  Let's keep our backfield as deep as possible.  
   3a - G - I've always wanted OL drafted higher than we have and have thought not doing so has been our biggest blunders in the draft.  But as we sit here today, I think I have to put G as 4th on my list.  We have some very good looking OL depth, at both G and T, that when given the chance has played very well.  I won't throw a wrench across the room if OL is drafted high, but I don't see it as one of our top 3 needs UNLESS injuries happen at/near the end of the season that force our hand.   

1. Riley Reiff...nobody at QB would be succeeding this year without our OL, and he plays the most important position on it.
2. DT, S, CB* ...this would change if the ceiling dropped in and we had only Sloter left on the roster...
I'd put OT as the fourth highest need.

1. Adam Theilen, I am telling you, this kid is going to catch the winning TD in the Super Bowl at US Bank. Something magical about him
and his story. 

2. DT, CB, S (Pass rushing DT, a stud to give us a 4th CB, S for more depth (even though I like Harris and Kearse)

Too difficult to pick one mvp for this team.  On D I can't even settle on one man.  Joseph?  Barr?  Rhodes?  Smith? 

On offense I would echo PG's nomination of Reiff.  Changed the entire line by shoring up that spot physically and mentally. 

As to draft needs?  I agree on a safety.  Smith is such a stud, but our depth behind him is thin.  Sendejo is solid, but if Smith were to go down, our D would suffer. 

MVP Thielen (He's a local kid ya know?)

Most influential new edition: Reiff/Elflein

Draft:  QB is the huge question and it's too early to know what the situation will be so I'm not considering that position as a first round option until we know more about the physical condition of Sam and Teddy after the season.

Rd. 1 CB, Newman can't go forever, and we need a true corner to cover the slot guy like the Captain did.
          Rd. 2 OG, We have to get Berger's replacement.
          Rd. 3 DE Need depth for Ev and Danielle once BRob hangs 'em up.
          Rd. 4 OT Can't get enough depth
          Rd. 5 Safety. Sendejo has a couple more years in him, but can always use more depth. 

MVP to Case...

Has to be Case Keenum so far. Lots of other notable things happening, but his play has been elevated.