Quote: @FSUVike said:
)@Mike Olson said:
@FSUVike said:
@SFVikingFan said:
ESPN QBR:

Teddy Bridgewater 2015:   57.7 (17th)

Case Keenum 2017:           72.6 (3rd)
More Apples and Oranges.

How on God's Green and Verdant Earth can so many of you continue to compare Teddy with no O-Line, WRs and Norv's antiquated system that was so 1st Down run oriented to the situation Case is in with a really good O-Line, the best duo of WRs in the League and an OC who will call any play at any time? 

The fact is you can't compare. Not until we see Teddy Start a few games.

And if many of you get your wish and the team rides Case to the Playoffs then what? Make Keenum the Franchise QB? Resign Teddy with no body of work to judge his recovery on?

Wouldn't it be oh so Minnesota for Case to get the team to rhe NFCCG, get torched by the Eagles, get a long-term deal and turn out to be Wade Wilson.
Because that is all you CAN compare. Trying to do anything more than that is pure speculation. How much do you weight the lack of or the existence of a good/bad oline? How much of that oline play do you attribute to the QB play itself? 

You can Project, Mike. Not compare two completely different situations. I can Project that Case, who inarguably makes a number of pre-snap decisions where he's going to throw the ball and has a tendency to throw floaters would likely have fared worse in Norv's system than Teddy. In large part because Wallace and Johnson wouldn't make contested catches and Case wouldn't have had nearly as much time to throw despite his movement skills.

And you can Project that a healthy Teddy (both body & mind) would likely fare better with this team and system for the same reasons.  More time to throw equals more time to read through progressions and find the best option instead of throwing into coverage, which Keenum does too much and won't get away with forever.

But to play Devil's Advocate, maybe Teddy comes in and doesn't trust AT and Diggs enough to throw it to them when they're covered and let them make a play.

You'll never know if the team rides Case the rest of the way. And unless Keenum loses in the Playoffs due to the Defense or Special Teams or TOs that he had nothing to do with then how does the FO decide which guy to keep and at what price? 

Look, if we had a Crystal Ball that said both Keenum and Bridgewater would be back with the Vikings next season on reasonable deals and perfectly fine with a earnest Training Camp contest to determine who Starts and who is the backup then you ride Case as long as he's hot.

But I give that scenario about a 4% chance of happening. More likely is Teddy doesn't get enough snaps to show what he's got and both QBs go into the offseason looking for Starter money.
But what are you projecting off of? You are doing it off of history which is completely different scenarios. 

Quote: @Canthony said:
@Mike Olson said:
Teddy Bridgewater in 2015 was the 22nd rated passer with an 88.7 rating

Case Keenum is sitting at the 22nd rating with a 92.6 rating. 

The idea that there is any gap between ability between these two QB's lies in personal bias. 

Maybe not with their ability at this time, but I would take Teddy's mental part of the game well before Case's.

Why? This has me curious. Why would you take Teddy's mental ability over Case's? 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@NorseGods said:
This is a bad situation for Teddy, too.  What if Zim does put him in and we go on a losing streak?  Anyone thought of that?  Case should be the QB for the rest of the year barring a catastrophic meltdown, IMO.
that may be bad for Teddy and this years team,  but it will be good for the teams future to know that Teddy is not a viable franchise guy for next year and beyond.   

as far as a losing streak,  it could very easily happen to Case as well.  eyes wide open,  the unknowns are scary,  but not insurmountable and by staying with the status quo we have no more guarantees for the future than we would by making a change.  its not like a change to Teddy would have to be permanent.  I am looking past the end result and trying to look at the game at a more positional level.

if this was any other position besides QB... would this even be a discussion regarding leaving an average player in vs taking a chance with on one with possibly better overall skills?

either way the coaches decide they want to go I am good,  but I hope to see better QB play as the opponents get tougher.
I wouldn't gamble a successful year to find out if you have a team next year, but that's just me.  As for Case possibly having a losing streak like Teddy could, sure, but you'd never know and it is an unnecessary risk at this time.  Then you, your team, your owners and your fans would wonder if your choice to gamble on a winning season was a self inflicted wound, or a naturally occurring wound, i.e. something that wold have happened regardless of who was under center.

As for status quo and no guarantees...right now you know you have chemistry.  You don't know that with Teddy.  That is a guarantee and the biggest testimony to winning teams.  I wouldn't mess with that chemistry, or momentum.

It's moot now as Zim made his decision, the right one IMO.

Are you not happy with the QB play from Case thus far?  I am extremely happy.  We haven't had balls downfield this much since Randy dropped his pants to moon the crowd.  Not to mention how efficient Case is, and his decision making save for a couple mistakes is top notch.  I'm surprised anyone is left wanting at the QB position for this team this year.  Unless you simply meant, be better than great, than I am with you on that, but I am not looking this gift horse in his mouth. I'll take winning like we have.

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@greediron said:
@Mike Olson said:

The idea that there is any gap between ability between these two QB's lies in personal bias. 
Why?  Because a different offense with much worse o-line and WRs makes the perfect comparison?

The gap in ability is simply in the mind.  Teddy's ability to read defenses and go through progressions in year 2 was ahead of the veteran backup Keenum. 
Then how come it took him until the 4th quarter in MANY games to get going? 

There is this idea that Teddy Bridgewater (and I am not saying this is you) is going to pick up where he left off - and frankly where he left off wasn't THAT GOOD, it was ok but certainly NOT great at all - we simply do not know that. At all. 
again, it has been pointed out, the offense, the talent surrounding him were completely inferior back in 2015.  Where he left off?  In the preseason of 2016 it was starting to look pretty damn good.  He is young and was ascending.  He was great under pressure.

As to why it "took him until the 4th"?  That again is straw man.  He didn't take that long, it was the way the coach wanted the game to go.  Until he opened up the offense because we needed to, Zimmer preferred a tight game, relying on good defense, a strong running game and not putting too much on a young QB.  Which was a smart move IMO. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@Mike Olson said:
@greediron said:
@Mike Olson said:

Why?  Because a different offense with much worse o-line and WRs makes the perfect comparison?

The gap in ability is simply in the mind.  Teddy's ability to read defenses and go through progressions in year 2 was ahead of the veteran backup Keenum. 
Then how come it took him until the 4th quarter in MANY games to get going? 

There is this idea that Teddy Bridgewater (and I am not saying this is you) is going to pick up where he left off - and frankly where he left off wasn't THAT GOOD, it was ok but certainly NOT great at all - we simply do not know that. At all. 
again, it has been pointed out, the offense, the talent surrounding him were completely inferior back in 2015.  Where he left off?  In the preseason of 2016 it was starting to look pretty damn good.  He is young and was ascending.  He was great under pressure.

As to why it "took him until the 4th"?  That again is straw man.  He didn't take that long, it was the way the coach wanted the game to go.  Until he opened up the offense because we needed to, Zimmer preferred a tight game, relying on good defense, a strong running game and not putting too much on a young QB.  Which was a smart move IMO. 
AP won the rushing title that year,We went 11-5 and then lost in the playoffs.
Tell me again how inferior the team was...