Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings’ offensive coordinator making his case to get a head coaching job
Case Keenum’s play this season likely will earn the veteran journeyman a multiyear contract and an opportunity to compete for a starting job with a quarterback-desperate team in 2018.
But Keenum, who is playing on a one-year, $2 million contract, isn’t the only member of the Vikings’ offense who stands to benefit from his team’s success.
In his first full season as the Vikings’ offensive coordinator, Pat Shurmur has overseen a unit that lost its starting quarterback (Sam Bradford) after one game, its star rookie running back (Dalvin Cook) in the fourth game and went two games without one of its top receivers (Stefon Diggs).
Despite this, the Vikings are sitting atop the NFC North at 7-2 thanks in part to an offense that is operating far more efficiently than it did a year ago.
The Vikings finished last season 23rd in the NFL in points per game (20.4), 18th in passing (240 yards per game) and 32nd in rushing (75.3 yards per game). With major upgrades to the offensive line, and a system far more suited to 2017, the Vikings are 10th in points (24.1), 12th in passing (246) and 11th in rushing (118).
All of this should lead to Shurmur being a hot name when it comes to head coaching openings after the season. The biggest thing that teams looking to make a coaching change will consider is Keenum’s success in the Vikings’ system.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...portunity/

:/ Confused  

Yep, I think Shurmur is gone for sure if Minnesota continues to play well and makes the playoffs. 

Or maybe we keep him with a title advance and more $$$...he'll definitely be a hot name, but maybe after a couple of shots at the top spot he likes what he has now...kinda like Paton...

I agree with the little feller. Maybe he likes it here and what he has.
I guess he could bring his HOF Case with him to Cleveland and lets see how that new Belichick and Brady duo works out Wink

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Or maybe we keep him with a title advance and more $$$...he'll definitely be a hot name, but maybe after a couple of shots at the top spot he likes what he has now...kinda like Paton...
They were able to keep Tice around doing that. I hope he stays around.