Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gales of November
&list=RD9vST6hVRj2A#t=7

They started early.

11 degrees this morning in the back yard. Thank god we're going to be near 50's next week or I would be very unhappy. BTW, saw the play on the Edmund Fitzgerald a few years back. Very moving and sad. 

Living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, not far from Lake Superior and right on Lake Michigan, it was an extremely popular song when I was young. We'd always see the big iron ore ships docked in Escanaba in Little Bay De Noc. I had Uncles and cousins that worked on those ships, but not on the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Lake Superior is a deep and massive lake...... 400 meters (over 1,300 ft.) deep in some spots. Cold, cold water. In the middle of summer, that lake temperature is at 56 - 64 degrees, depending on the year. If you've never felt that, its @#$%ing cold. Your legs will go numb.

We went up to Detroit Lakes for my father-in-law's induction into the Fergus Falls Hall of Fame in 1999. It was Jun 8th. They told us that Detroit Lakes had just fully thawed in late May. My nephews were playing in the water (they were about 10 or 11). I put my feet in off the dock and it felt like I put them in a fire. Hurt like hell. I don't know how those kids handled it.

15 miles to Whitefish Bay. What a sad, sad fate.