Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick Spielman says Vikings will take Bridgewater decision down to the Nov. 8 deadline
If Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater isn’t activated by the deadline, he would stay on PUP for the remainder of the season.Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman told a small gathering of Twin Cities media earlier today that the team is going to take all the time it’s allotted per NFL rules before making its decision on whether or not to move quarterback Teddy Bridgewater from the physically unable to perform list to the active roster.
That deadline is a week from today. The Vikings practiced today and will reconvene next Monday for their first practice following their bye week. If Bridgewater isn’t activated by the deadline, he would stay on PUP for the remainder of the season.
Spielman said the team is only trying to decide whether or not to add Bridgewater to the active roster, not whether it should start him as early as the Washington game a week from Sunday. Bridgewater returned to practice Oct. 18.
Spielman also mentioned multiple times that injured quarterback Sam Bradford also “is trying like heck to get himself back as quickly as he can, too.” He avoided saying whether the team thinks Bradford will return this season.
“All [the quarterback] decisions will be made coming up next week,” Spielman said. “It will be a decision we make after speaking with [Bridgewater’s] doctor, our medical staff, myself and coach [Mike Zimmer], and then we’ll go from there.”
http://www.startribune.com/rick-spielman...454525953/

Spielman was asked how important it is to see Bridgewater in a game this season to determine who will be the starting quarterback in 2018.
“What’s most important is what’s best for Teddy Bridgewater for the long haul,” he said. “To say that our organization would put any player out there who’s not ready to play football, we would never do that. And that’s not fair to the player, that’s not fair to our organization. We will play guys, regardless of who it is, when they’re ready to step out on the field.”
Asked if he’s in a tough position trying to figure out next year’s starter, Spielman said, “I figure we have plenty of time to figure that out. We’ve got a ways to go yet before we have to make those decisions.”
As for how the Vikings will sort out their starting quarterback for Washington and beyond, Spielman said, “The decision on the quarterback will come down to what coach Zimmer and the staff feels gives us the best chance to win,.

Good answers.  

i call BS. Teddy has been cleared to play by doctors. if the Vikes keep hom on PUP it is only to preserve options. 

Quote: @"Purpleblooded" said:
i call BS. Teddy has been cleared to play by doctors. if the Vikes keep hom on PUP it is only to preserve options. 
I want whats best for The Vikings...

Quote: @"Purpleblooded" said:
Teddy was cleared to return to practice,  its up to the team to determine if he is healthy enough to play.  If he is having any discomfort or swelling or is not moving cleanly yet...or if he is hearing footsteps far to often... that isnt something that you ignore because a doctor says the knee is good.  The Vikes and Teddy both have to much resting on this decision to allow an MRI to be the determining factor.

There is zero chance that they don't activate Bridgewater.  Zero.  If there was any chance, they wouldn't have started the 3 weeks of practicing with the team.  It doesn't mean he'll go straight to starting or even start at all, but he will certainly be on the active roster.

Waiting the full amount of time allows you to keep that extra guy on the roster for another week and doesn't tip your hand to your opponents prematurely (although I don't think it really matters here).  There is no downside to waiting it out, as we have no games that Teddy needs to be active for.

I don't know why there would be an expectation for the Vikings to make a decision prior to the deadline. Teddy can do everything with an active PUP designation that he could do on the 53 man roster besides play in a game. Why give up a 53 man roster spot now when there aren't even any games he could potentially play in? 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I don't know why there would be an expectation for the Vikings to make a decision prior to the deadline. Teddy can do everything with an active PUP designation that he could do on the 53 man roster besides play in a game. Why give up a 53 man roster spot now when there aren't even any games he could potentially play in? 
Exactly,  if he were to suffer a setback you would have unnecessarily exposed a player to waivers if you activated him before you had to.