Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keenum is the answer for the Vikings at qb now but he can't be later
If their game Sunday goes as expected, they will by this time next week be choosing between their injured franchise quarterback, the injured franchise quarterback they acquired to replace the former, and a quarterback who will have won five of the seven games in which he has played this season.

This is where it is important to be able to distinguish between fish, and chips. The Vikings need to be wise enough to discern which quarterback is an entree, and which is an accompaniment.

His record in games in which he has played this season is 5-2, placing the Vikings among the top teams in the league, but his game-by-game synopsis is less impressive. He played poorly against Pittsburgh, brilliantly against Tampa Bay, poorly against Detroit, and well enough in games against Chicago, Green Bay and Baltimore.
He threw for 369 yards and three touchdowns against a Bucs defense missing three of its best players. Since then, he has not thrown a touchdown pass to a wide receiver, has thrown two touchdown passes and two interceptions, and has not topped 239 passing yards while missing receivers deep, either with his arm or eyes.

On a team relying on defense and rushing, Keenum has been good enough to win against the soft portion of the schedule. The Vikings have faced rookie Mitch Trubisky, Packers backup Brett Hundley (after Aaron Rodgers was injured) and slumping Ravens starter Joe Flacco during their three-game winning streak. Keenum has done his job by not losing games that the defense was capable of winning on its own. What we’ve seen this season is exactly in line with Keenum’s career.
Sticking with Keenum might feel safe, but the organizational goal is not to slip into the playoffs but to win a Super Bowl. Keenum can’t get the Vikings there. Bridgewater or Bradford, if healthy, would give them a puncher’s chance.

http://www.startribune.com/case-keenum-i...453489053/

As I've said previously in some homer rants....Teddy will be the answer, this year and for more to come.

Some fans can't see Keenum's limitations because the team is 5-2. That will change in a heartbeat with a 2 or 3 game losing streak. The team needs Bridgewater or Bradford to lead them to the playoffs.

We're 5-2 because it has been a team effort. I don't think in the beginning of the season anyone would have thought that Keenum would have started 6 games. He has done his job as a backup.
I agree, that hopefully between Sam and Teddy we can have decent play for 9 games.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
As I've said previously in some homer rants....Teddy will be the answer, this year and for more to come.
I don't care if it's Sam, Ted, Bill or John Smith...We'll need more at qb to have the kind of year we all want.

Just a fact, not a knock on Case, he is what he is. I've appreciated him keeping the wheels on the cart. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@PurpleCrush said:
I don't care if it's Sam, Ted, Bill or John Smith...We'll need more at qb to have the kind of year we all want.

Just a fact, not a knock on Case, he is what he is. I've appreciated him keeping the wheels on the cart. 

I've appreciated him too, he's done what we needed him to do. I'm just speaking with purple shades on. It'd be nice to have Teddy as the long term answer.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@purplefaithful said:
@PurpleCrush said:

I've appreciated him too, he's done what we needed him to do. I'm just speaking with purple shades on. It'd be nice to have Teddy as the long term answer.
I'm all in on Teddy if he can make it back and keep progressing from year 1 & 2.

I forgot my hope he'd take the next step year 3, nobody got that chance unfortunately. him or the fans. 

He'll have to show the coaches and teammates he can take that next step if he gets the chance. I would have loved to have seen what he could do with Dalvin, Shurmur and this system vs run heavy AP days. 

As much as everyone is just assuming that Teddy will come in and automatically play better than Case, I guess I'm not so sure.

Their career stats are actually pretty similar.  And while Case is by no means a great QB at this point, he has shown improvement in completion percentage every year and this year sits at 64.2%, which is very close to Teddy's 64.9% over his career (65.3% in 2015).  They also each throw for a little under 1 TD/game over their careers and Teddy actually has the higher Interception % over his career (2.5 vs 2.3).  You can also make the pretty easy argument that Teddy has played on better teams over his career than Case has.

Even including this year's games, Case has only played in 3 more total games than Teddy, so I don't know how people can be so sure that one QB has hit his ceiling already, while the other QB still has so much potential.

And remember, Teddy hasn't played in a regular season game for about 20 months now.  It would be very impressive for him to come back and immediately start playing at his 2015 level, let alone make some incredible leap before the end of the year.  Maybe we need to temper our expectations a little for Teddy?  It's very possible that he could come in and play at a worse level than Case has so far this year.