Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Film review: Play-actions and personnel packages driving Vikings passing game
For a team that’s been missing its quarterback for all but six quarters of the season, the Minnesota Vikings have had pretty impressive production in the passing game.
The Vikings are ninth in total passing yards, eighth in net yards per attempt and sixth in team passer rating. That’s not quite what you would have expected when starter Sam Bradford went down after Week 1.

While Case Keenum deserves credit for his aggressiveness – which is not always a trait seen in backup quarterbacks -the combination of offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur’s scheme and the Vikings’ offensive line that have allowed them to be successful.
Heading into the Vikings’ matchup with the Green Bay Packers, they were the NFL’s best team when throwing play-action passes, gaining 12.7 yards per attempt, according to Football Outsiders. Keenum was successful again against Green Bay. Much of the reason for play-action success is Shurmur’s use of the offensive line and their execution in both the pass and the run.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...sing-game/

On Monday, Mike Zimmer explained that the team made an effort to improve the screen game this offseason.

“It was one of the big points of emphasis we had in the offseason,” Zimmer said. ” I wanted to get better at screens because I know how difficult it is to defend. It can slow down your pass rush. It can get guys hanging on the back more and not necessarily rushing the quarterback. I think Pat’s done a great job with it but maybe more importantly is we’ve got offensive lineman that are very athletic and can get out in space. It’s easy to set up a screen and then you get out there and a big guy can’t block a little guy. These guys are athletic. They’ve been able to get in space and be able to block them. Timing of it is essential. Making sure you get the right timing of the screens. That’s one of the big emphasis the offense had this offseason.”
Success on screens starts with center Pat Elflein, who is terrific on the move and in space. So even without Dalvin Cook, Stefon Diggs or Sam Bradford, Pat Shurmur was able to use play-fakes, personnel groupings and his mobile O-line to succeed in the passing game.

In the 70s and 80s the Vikes were some of the best with the screen.  Then again under Dennis Green they were very effective with it.  Our RB was especially patient at using the blockers and then gaining huge yards.
it was disappointing how seldom we used it when the Vikes were getting blittzed constantly all the way back to TJ days.  It was a play that could have changed things for the better but we seldom saw them use it.

The gif's in the article show the change in scheme very well.   Good read.

I've been loving Pat Shurmur. He's going to get another shot as a NFL HC if this offense keeps humming.

I hope not Sticky...A little continuity would be nice on that side of the ball. I mean they're just starting to acquire personnel for that scheme, let alone letting em play together for a couple of seasons ala The Packers.

I got so tired of a run-heavy offense. 09 was so frigging refreshing - and so fleeting.

But I get the sentiment with Shurmur and we want the best for these guys. They work their butts off. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
On Monday, Mike Zimmer explained that the team made an effort to improve the screen game this offseason.

“It was one of the big points of emphasis we had in the offseason,” Zimmer said. ” I wanted to get better at screens because I know how difficult it is to defend. It can slow down your pass rush. It can get guys hanging on the back more and not necessarily rushing the quarterback. I think Pat’s done a great job with it but maybe more importantly is we’ve got offensive lineman that are very athletic and can get out in space. It’s easy to set up a screen and then you get out there and a big guy can’t block a little guy. These guys are athletic. They’ve been able to get in space and be able to block them. Timing of it is essential. Making sure you get the right timing of the screens. That’s one of the big emphasis the offense had this offseason.”
Success on screens starts with center Pat Elflein, who is terrific on the move and in space. So even without Dalvin Cook, Stefon Diggs or Sam Bradford, Pat Shurmur was able to use play-fakes, personnel groupings and his mobile O-line to succeed in the passing game.

McKinnon's touchdown on that one screen pass was against a Packer blitz on that same side.  McKinnon got behind the blitz and Keenum dropped the pass right over them and Jet was off to the races for a score.  Hell of a call from Shumur.