Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can "The Mountain" make a difference?

Not sure with Bradford, Cook and Diggs out...But it's kinda cool none-the-less

Skol: The Mountain comes to Minnesota to amp up Vikings game-day chantThe "Game of Thrones" star will sound the gjallarhorn and lead fans in the Skol chant
Not for nothing do they call him the Mountain. At more than 400 solid pounds, “Game of Thrones” television star Thor Bjornsson will be at U.S. Bank Stadium on Sunday.
If the native Icelander can’t get the crowd to rock the building with the Skol chant before the game against the Green Bay Packers, well who can?
The 6-foot-9 Bjornsson will step out onto a platform above the western end zone to sound the gjallarhorn. Then he will raise his massive, tattooed arms to clap above his head to lead an anticipated full house of 66,200 in the Skol chant.
In Iceland, it’s called the Viking war chant. A video of 10,000 Icelanders bellowing the chant and clapping in sync went viral after the hometown team’s underdog Euro Cup soccer tournament in the summer of 2016. USA Today called it the “coolest chant in all of sports” and “bone-chilling.”
With an unofficial handoff from Iceland last year, the Minnesota Vikings appropriated the chant for the inaugural season at U.S. Bank Stadium in 2016. They’ve been using it at every home game. The consensus has been that fans are still trying to get the hang of it and have yet to fulfill their potential that could propel the chant to the heights of sports traditions.
http://www.startribune.com/skol-the-moun...450792363/

The fans really need to pay attention and do it right.

Quote: @twgerber said:
The fans really need to pay attention and do it right.
Everyone just needs to get in sync...  at the Texans game last year, it was pretty damn good.  But if you watch the video from Iceland...  they are PERFECT.  Complete silence between claps.  That is the next level to achieve...  

The Vikings don't quite have this "down" yet... IMO.  It's a basic chant used to pump up everybody in a frenzy before something happens.  The Vikings use it... but then nothing happens.  Or should I say the next "staged" or production thing happens.  If you watch this video I took while at the Tampa Game, I think the Chant should be used to bring out the players, but the Vikings use it before that and then play some video... and all the excitement built by the slow to fast chanting and clapping is lost.  That's on whomever is in charge of pregame production.  That video could be either played before the chant is started or just tossed all together....

The chant to bring out the Warriors(players) would have a greater impact and makes more sense... your fans are going nuts clapping and chanting SKOL at a frenzied pace, there's a belch of fire from the Dragon's head and the team takes the field.... I think THAT would be bone chilling....  As of today... the chant is used to work everyone up.... to watch a video.  Yuck, ... and deflating.  Talk about a misuse of an asset.   

Good review Zerk.

And Wet, I agree with you too. I'd add that they have to speed it up for the Vikings application at a football game too.  

And it would have helped my engagement vs Detroit if the Vikings didn't suck asz on the field (with all due respects to the Magnificent D)