Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: Sammy can sling it
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/4113...uarterback

Yep, we've heard this. That's cool. What's his decision making going to be like however?

(09-06-2024, 07:23 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/4113...uarterback

Yep, we've heard this. That's cool. What's his decision making going to be like however?

I know I know! Inconsistent? 

I think that's what we should expect from Darnold this year. At least that's what I'm expecting. There are going to be times when he gets time to throw and his arm talent is showcased and he makes some "wow" throws, and people are going to ask "Kirk who?" I'm convinced we're going to see occasional greatness in Sam, especially on deep throws. 

But I think we all also know there are going to be plenty of times with the game on the line, when all the ghosts and the chaos and the happy feet return.

The only question is which do we see more of? I'm willing to bet it's the first one and Sam really does get some CPOY buzz.

I think it's time...past time...people realize that the mental and chemistry aspects of his game are just unknowns in this setting.

He had bad early outings...on some tragically bad teams, coaching included, with very limited weapons. None of that helps to develop steady decisions or even a balanced approach to the game.

He also was better at Carolina than Baker was, and has since had a season with the most recent NFC Superbowl team to get his head right.

I'm optimistic, but...it's kinda meaningless. This time last year, KC was down two important players and lost to the kittens, who looked brilliant while the Chiefs looked like they couldn't hold onto a pass to save their lives. That problem reoccurred all season, yet they managed to get rings and a Lombardi. It's also worth mentioning that Mahomes tends to have a few "pick dispenser" games every season, but Reid keeps their defense and their lines in good shape, finding fresh young talent when the established players get hurt/too expensive, and they are now the new benchmark.

The Vikings need great QB play...no argument...but, even when we've had it, we've had inconsistent/terrible protection, similarly bad trench play, and some defenses that trailed the league.

For Darnold to really shine for the team...and hopefully, quiet the hate-brigade that's always so quick to pounce on our own QBs...KOC and KAM need to have the whole team doing better, clicking more smoothly, and looking like the deep postseason threats we need the Vikings to be. Sam can do what he can control, and I'm not worried (much) about our skill players (with KJ and Addison gone, along with their drops), but regardless how well our new QB plays, the whole team has to reflect improvement, or it'll all be his fault. Sadly, not just with the fans, as even the analysts - who should know better - will measure a QB's worth by the whole team's effort.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

Name another position in sports more inter-dependent than QB?

This is like starting a rook QB in some respects - I dont know where Darnold's ceiling or floor are in this system and this surround.

A strong redemption season would be nice to witness.