Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice article on Darnold
I would have to say at this stage, our QB plans are looking as good as we could hope.  Hope I’m saying the same after the preseason and next year when it’s all set to come to fruition.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings-training-...ing-qb-job
[-] The following 2 users Like Waterboy's post:

(08-08-2024, 08:52 PM)Waterboy Wrote: I would have to say at this stage, our QB plans are looking as good as we could hope.  Hope I’m saying the same after the preseason and next year when it’s all set to come to fruition.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings-training-...ing-qb-job

Agreed. I've mentioned on other threads that I feel like too many wannabe journalists are looking past him, as he still has all the tools you'd want in a QB and is in a better situation than he's previously experienced in the NFL. This is a big chance for him, a real shot at redemption, and he'll be playing for his immediate as well as his long-term football future the whole way.

A forgotten issue with high draft picks is that they usually go to terrible teams...and he suffered through a couple before backing up Purdy in SF.

I'm hoping he absolutely kills it, until he becomes too expensive to keep...and JJM is ready.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

It's generally hard to draw much of anything tangible on talent from training camp.  There are exceptions, like when Randy Moss blew everyone away in camp and when an unexpected player is practicing with the #1's in camp.  Generally, it is optimism and hyperbole fueled by the constraints of training camp when there is effectively no hitting and live fire and all pressure situations are manufactured, not real.

The one thing I am convinced of is that KOC would like to keep JJ on the bench for all of this season, regardless of how well he shows in camp and in preseason.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PurplePorsche's post:

My guess: its going to be a big mixed bag of decent and garbage tomorrow for the Vikings game, just like any other 1st preseason game. Twitter will overreact to the good and bad.

On Darnold: he's physically talented. #3 pick overall. He works hard. Might surprise or might be exactly who he has been as a pro.

(08-09-2024, 05:00 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: My guess: its going to be a big mixed bag of decent and garbage tomorrow for the Vikings game, just like any other 1st preseason game. Twitter will overreact to the good and bad.

On Darnold: he's physically talented. #3 pick overall. He works hard. Might surprise or might be exactly who he has been as a pro.
Agreed. What’s his issue?  He sees ghosts?, Sounds like the stress of processing all the things needed at the position are lacking. 

How do you fix that?  Could be reps and film, but one thing I really like is that KOC’s passing game gets people open. That is the greatest gift to a QB. If KOC can’t fix it, he can’t be fixed. ( that’s a good tshirt idea btw)

Redemption...

Maybe this is just the start of a year that is all about Darnold and a triumphant year for him??

I'd be down for that.

Definitely rooting for the guy - just tempering my expectations based on past history.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

The article (by a Vikings-friendly Nick Selbe), actually runs the gamut on all groups, offense and defense. Interesting how he calls out the "stoic" Danielle Hunter vs the leadership of Jonathan Greenard. Reading this, one could almost get optimistic about this throwaway season, while we await the $50mm in cap space for 2025.

Always curious about who says what (he apparently has no discernible Minnesota ties, which adds to his credibility IMHO): "Nick Selbe is a programming editor at Sports Illustrated who frequently writes about baseball and college sports. Before joining SI in March 2020 as a breaking/trending news writer, he worked for MLB Advanced Media, Yahoo Sports and Bleacher Report. Selbe received a bachelor's in communication from the University of Southern California."