Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ouija board speculation
Sports Illustrated projects a mid-season Sam Darnold trade

Who will be the starting quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings in 2024? Although Minnesota drafted former Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft, he won’t be handed the starting job. All signs point to Sam Darnold — not McCarthy — starting off the year as the team’s QB1. But how long will that last?

According to Sports Illustrated senior NFL writer Conor Orr, McCarthy may be taking the reins by mid-season, but probably not for the reason you think. Instead of being benched for poor performance or because the team’s bye week is a perfect transition point, Orr projects Darnold to be trade bait and wind up with a contender who has their starter go down with an injury.

In his 100 predictions piece for Sports Illustrated, Orr made several Vikings-centric predictions, but the most interesting one, by far, involved the team’s starting quarterback. Orr believes Darnold will be traded before the Nov. 5 trade deadline, paving the way for the McCarthy era to start for the Vikings.

That prediction, paired with Orr’s prediction that the Vikings will exceed their projected win total of 6.5, seems to indicate that Orr believes Darnold will have a productive season for the Vikings.

Darnold plays in an offense with Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison, Aaron Jones, and a quarterback-friendly head coach in Kevin O’Connell, so it’s certainly possible. How well would Darnold have to play in 2024 to be trade bait? We’ll have to see!

Offseason fodder. Dumb.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

I've seen a lot of those stories, including those mentioned, and here's some simple truth:

if the team, particularly the offense, is clicking and has momentum with Sam under center...points and wins will mean a ton more than potential trades.

If he isn't working, the chemistry isn't there, then yeah...we might see JJM before the season ends. But, barring an injury and/or a dumpster fire situation, I think Sam starts and will work damned hard to stay there.
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!
[-] The following 2 users Like Zanary's post:

I'm reading headlines now with Red Shirt and JJM in the same sentence...I think the media is finally starting to get it.

Maybe...
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(06-22-2024, 04:26 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I'm reading headlines now with Red Shirt and JJM in the same sentence...I think the media is finally starting to get it.

Maybe...

Yeah some are getting it and others are taking it as he's already a bust since Darnold is projected to be the starter for us this year.  It's stupid.

Lots of QBs have sat for a season (or three) and most have come in and played well after that.  Culpepper sat a whole year before starting, Rodgers sat for 3 years, Love sat for 3 years, Jalen Hurts sat for over a year, Cousins had one start his rookie year, Phillip Rivers essentially sat for two years behind Brees, etc.

It really doesn't hurt a QB to give him time to learn his rookie season.  I guarantee we'd have less QB "busts" if teams were more patient with these guys and didn't start them too early.
[-] The following 2 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

(06-23-2024, 07:44 AM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Yeah some are getting it and others are taking it as he's already a bust since Darnold is projected to be the starter for us this year.  It's stupid.

Lots of QBs have sat for a season (or three) and most have come in and played well after that.  Culpepper sat a whole year before starting, Rodgers sat for 3 years, Love sat for 3 years, Jalen Hurts sat for over a year, Cousins had one start his rookie year, Phillip Rivers essentially sat for two years behind Brees, etc.

It really doesn't hurt a QB to give him time to learn his rookie season.  I guarantee we'd have less QB "busts" if teams were more patient with these guys and didn't start them too early.

100%. And some of the few that excel by playing most of their rookie years regress the following season. These are kids, especially guys that are 21 and 22 years old, they need the comfort of learning without the pressure or fear of being 'The Man' before they get a chance to gain a little confidence. The offenses in the NFL are complicated compared to what they are used to in college. More sophisticated. Broader. Progressing through reads is a learned behavior. Set them up for success.

At least people are now starting to entertain the possibility of this now. But while I agree it's not hard to see a Darnold breakout year given the best offense, weapons and line he's ever had, it IS hard to see the Vikings trading him away if that happens. 

First, what team would think that a QB who failed on three previous teams is going to be able to continue doing what he was doing in Minnesota without that supporting cast? Second, why would the Vikings trade away a former 3rd overall pick with elite level tools, who suddenly found his rhythm? If you strike gold you keep digging; you don’t sell your claim. Third, if Darnold is having a great season, the Vikings would likely be in contention for the playoffs. Vikings would have to be 100% convinced JJ is the QBOTF and I don’t know how they could be by then. Handing the keys of a playoff team to a rookie is fraught with danger for all involved. Imagine the egg on everyone’s face if he goes out and looks more like Matt Leinart than Matt Ryan.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

Darnold doing exceedingly well and the Vikings trading him? Let alone in mid-season?

Its doesnt get much dumb or dumber...

Darnold will retire a Viking if he suddenly becomes all pro. I know, silly stuff.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(06-23-2024, 09:57 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Darnold doing exceedingly well and the Vikings trading him? Let alone in mid-season?

Its doesnt get much dumb or dumber...

Darnold will retire a Viking if he suddenly becomes all pro. I know, silly stuff.

I've stopped looking up stories on the Internet about the team right now, its unreal the clickbait garbage out there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post: