Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings mandatory minicamp starts today (Tuesday 6/4) thread
New Vikings running back Aaron Jones excited about the Justin Jefferson effect

New Vikings running back Aaron Jones played with quarterback Aaron Rodgers and receiver Davante Adams for six of his seven seasons in Green Bay. So he's familiar with the gravitational pull that a star receiver can have on a defense, and how that extra attention — like two deep safeties instead of one — can open running lanes for him.

During Jones' first week of practices with Justin Jefferson, who Monday signed a four-year, $140 million extension, they already were looking forward to that kind of relationship.

Jones said he told Jefferson on Tuesday, "'Man, I'm ready to get on the field with you. You're going to make my job easier.'

"He's like, 'Nah, you're going to make my job easier.' I guess that's what we're here for - to make each other's jobs easier. He's going to take some attention off me, and hopefully I can do the same for him."

Jones, 29, was cut by the Packers in March after declining a second pay cut in as many years. He quickly signed a one-year deal with the Vikings, pairing a Pro Bowl talent with a lackluster run game. The Vikings' rushing attack has ranked 23rd and 26th in yards per carry during head coach Kevin O'Connell's two seasons.

Jones, who also has more than 2,000 career receiving yards, said he can learn from Jefferson, too.

"I just got to kind of sit and watch him and some of the routes he runs," Jones said. "We may have similar concepts where I may be running something similar to him. So just kind of watching him, watching Jordan Addison; both of those guys, I think they're special receivers."

What does Jones think this offense can achieve?

"It really excites me," Jones said. "I played with a No. 1 receiver, and now being here with a No. 1 receiver, and then two No. 1s, if you ask me, three No. 1s, sorry let's keep going – you throw T.J. [Hockenson] in there. It's just like, who are you going to guard?"

"I think the matchups we can get against the defense are pretty much always going to be in our favor," he added, "and I think it's going to be hard to stop."

https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vi...600371234/

New leadership in town

Edge rusher Jonathan Greenard, the former Texans starter who signed a four-year deal with the Vikings in free agency, has a new thing going in Minnesota. After each practice open to reporters, Greenard has led a small circle of 10 to 15 players in a core muscle routine. It's an assertive step from the 27-year-old veteran on a young team. Only 28-year-old edge rusher Andrew Van Ginkel is older than Greenard in a position room that features four rookies, including first-round pick Dallas Turner.

"Just be myself," Greenard said after Wednesday's practice. "I haven't had to do much of anything else. You see this abs thing I brought from Houston, just kind of got into a routine a little bit, and I think everybody's drawn toward that because they see the benefits. ... These guys are so young, they're eager and hungry to make some plays and win."

Roll call

Nearly all of the Vikings' projected 22 starters have been on the field through two days of a three-day mandatory minicamp, except for recovering veterans Hockenson (knee) and Van Ginkel (foot). Safety Camryn Bynum (undisclosed) also has spent time rehabbing while being limited in practice.

Receiver Jalen Nailor and tight end Nick Muse have been absent this week, while second-year cornerback NaJee Thompson has rehabbed an undisclosed injury on a side field.

Pace the play caller

Linebacker Ivan Pace Jr. has been relaying play calls in the huddle during practices this week, and head coach Kevin O'Connell first mentioned the second-year defender when asked about who will take over for veteran linebacker Jordan Hicks in that role. One defender can wear the in-helmet speaker during games, or the "green-dot helmet," to hear defensive coordinator Brian Flores' calls.

"He's had a very good spring [with] just the type of communication [Flores] is putting on his plate," O'Connell said of Pace. "We also want to have Blake Cashman and Kamu Grugier-Hill ready to handle some of that green dot work."

https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vi...600371234/

A group of reporters approached new edge rusher Jonathan Greenard after practice wrapped up on Wednesday afternoon at TCO Performance Center in Eagan.

He politely declined at the time while walking alongside the rest of his position group. They still had some work to do.
A couple of minutes later, Greenard was leading an ab workout on the side of the field, something he has been doing after pretty much every practice since he came into the league.

“When we first started doing it, we probably had a few people out here,” Greenard said. “Now everybody is doing it, and I think that’s brought us so much closer together.”

The routine is something Greenard picked up while playing for the Houston Texans early in his career. Naturally, he decided to bring it with him to the Vikings after signing a four-year, $76 million contract this offseason.

“Why not get a little 10 minutes of abs to knock it out?” Greenard said. “The core is everything. I’ve had core injuries in the past and dealt with that. As we know, if the core is strong, everything else is going to be better, and the injuries are going to go down.”

This is a perfect example of how Greenard’s leadership is already showing up with the Vikings despite the fact that he hasn’t been in Minnesota for very long. The skills as a leader come naturally for him, and while he takes a lot of pride in his production on the field, he takes an equal mount of pride in his ability to get everybody to pull on the same rope.

“Just be myself,” Greenard said. “I really haven’t had to do anything else.”

Maybe the biggest place Greenard’s leadership has shown up is in how he has made it a point to take young edge rusher Dallas Turner under his wing. Suddenly a veteran in the NFL, Greenard sees the seemingly limitless potential that Turner possesses, and he’s invested in squeezing all of the juice out of that orange.

“It’s a responsibility of mine to continue to help develop and become the best version of himself,” Greenard said. “He has too much potential not to. I’ll be spilling all my knowledge to him. He’s a great kid and he’s willing to listen, and that’s the best thing about it.”

There’s a genuine excitement from Greenard when he talks about his future with the Vikings. He’s excited to teach his teammates everything he knows. He’s also excited to learn from defensive coordinator Brian Flores.

“He’s going to dial it up,” Greenard said. “Just having that style makes other teams play on our terms. I love it. I’m all about it.”

The aggressiveness of Flores should help Greenard build on last season, when he posted a career high 12 1/2 sacks. He has developed into an edge rusher that can win with speed on the outside and power on the inside. He also has shown he can be effective wherever he lines up in a formation.

That versatility is a major key to his success.

“It’s an innovative league,” Greenard said. “We’ve got to be able to beat new strategies that offenses are going to continue to throw at us. ”

As for the ab workouts that have become part of his persona, Greenard ensured the Vikings would continue to do them throughout the summer, even as the temperatures continue to rise in training camp.

“I’m a firm believer in doing core,” Greenard said while pausing for dramatic effect. “And having a six pack.”

https://www.twincities.com/2024/06/05/vi...ence-felt/

I'm a big fan of Jones and hope the line can open some holes for him. A run game would be a huge benefit to whichever QB starts. I'm also stoked about what Flores can do with this defense. Good cornerback play and a productive run game would make this team hard to beat.

I have always liked Aaron Jones. I hope he can have a healthy season.

(06-05-2024, 09:11 PM)kmillard Wrote: I have always liked Aaron Jones. I hope he can have a healthy season.

Yep, me too. He'll be a great help to Darnold and then hopefully JJM for a few games at year's end. I think he's on the downside of his career but he's got a nice, but not great,  season left in the tank for Minnesota and then they'll move on.

Aaron Jones is a really good running back, but what impresses me most about him is when he catches the ball out of the backfield. I can't count how many times I've watched him take a swing pass and either broken it off for a huge gain or taken it to the house. Jones is a complete back and I hope he has a full and healthy season.
[-] The following 3 users Like ArizonaViking's post:

(06-06-2024, 07:41 AM)ArizonaViking Wrote: Aaron Jones is a really good running back, but what impresses me most about him is when he catches the ball out of the backfield.  I can't count how many times I've watched him take a swing pass and either broken it off for a huge gain or taken it to the house.  Jones is a complete back and I hope he has a full and healthy season.

Vikings hit the jackpot with Ivan Pace. More accolades from KOC:

https://twitter.com/vikingzfanpage/statu...9381629326

(06-07-2024, 07:16 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Vikings hit the jackpot with Ivan Pace. More accolades from KOC:

https://twitter.com/vikingzfanpage/statu...9381629326

I haven't bought a jersey since Robert Smith, but Pace's zero jersey could change my mind. Love what he brings to the defense. I think too many are discounting how much the Vikings defense could actually improve this season, despite losing Hunter.

New Vikings QB Sam Darnold getting a lot of help in learning the team's offense

Justin Jefferson returned to Minnesota this week, taking the practice field for the first time this offseason after signing his four-year, $140 million contract with the Vikings. The quarterback waiting for him was a former No. 3 overall pick set to inherit perhaps the most talented offense of his checkered NFL career.

Sam Darnold, on his fourth team in six seasons since the Jets took him third in 2018, is the early favorite to be the starting QB at the beginning of Jefferson's first season without Kirk Cousins. The Vikings continue to bring first-round pick J.J. McCarthy along at a deliberate pace, with Darnold and Nick Mullens giving them two veteran quarterbacks while McCarthy continues to learn. This week at the Vikings' mandatory minicamp, it was Darnold throwing the first passes to Jefferson.

"It's fun; he gets open more times than not," Darnold said Thursday. "Even in zones, he has a really good feel for settling in zones and all that stuff, so it's fun to be able to throw to him."

The quarterback signed a one-year, $10 million deal with the Vikings in March after Cousins left for Atlanta, and could get a chance to reboot his career if he can succeed with the Vikings' offense early in the season. He reunited in Minnesota with Josh McCown, his mentor from the Jets who became the Vikings' quarterbacks coach this offseason, and he's installing an offense that shares some lineage with the one he learned in San Francisco last year. While tight end T.J. Hockenson could still be recovering from his January ACL surgery at the beginning of the season, the Vikings will start with Jefferson and Jordan Addison at receiver, Christian Darrisaw and Brian O'Neill at the tackle spots and Aaron Jones in the backfield.

Darnold, who turned 27 on Wednesday, has never played for a team that finished higher than 16th in offense. He should have plenty of established talent around him this year.

"We've got a really good skill group, and obviously a great offensive line to go along with it," Darnold said. "So we're just excited to continue to put good days together."

The investments in the offense also come with expectations, and with McCarthy as the Vikings' quarterback of the future, any success Darnold has this season might become a catalyst for him to move somewhere else. If he's unable to make the most of his chance with the Vikings, it's possible he won't have another opportunity as promising as the one he has in Minnesota.

The quarterback who's played for three teams since he was drafted as the Jets' centerpiece is trying to avoid focusing on how he's perceived.

"All the accolades, all that stuff, that's for other people to judge for me," he said. "It's just about being able to put the ball in play, just kind of being a point guard out there."

Darnold said there's no plan in place right now for him to get together with Jefferson and Addison before training camp in late July, though the teammates could connect for a throwing session sometime this summer. For now, he's using extra time at home to learn the Vikings' offense.

He's adopted the approach Mullens gave to Cousins, recording plays as voice memos on his phone that he can replay to himself, and writing position labels on poker chips he can then move around to display route concepts. In his apartment, Darnold drills his dropbacks and bounces a football off the floor, perhaps to the chagrin of his neighbors.

"They probably love that," Darnold said. "I've got to remind myself, too, after the first couple [bounces]. I'm like, 'Oh, yeah — there's people that live below me.'"

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-mini...600371680/

With all the hype around Jones, I think a guy going under the radar is Ty Chandler, he did great when he got a shot last year and helped add a boost to the offense, he is a shifty runner who can break tackles and has speed, he ran a 4.38 at his combine. He also looked good catching the ball. I think he ends up being the primary back at some point this season.

What we learned from the Vikings throughout spring
More of the storylines will be ironed out during training camp over the summer.

Anytime the Vikings descended upon TCO Performance Center throughout the spring, they placed an added emphasis on learning regardless of circumstance.

Whether it was head coach Kevin O’Connell learning what to expect from his new players, veteran quarterback Sam Darnold learning the intricacies of a new playbook, or rookie quarterback J.J. McCarthy learning the names of his new teammates, the Vikings collectively made the most of every minute they were together.

There were some ups and downs along the way, and while the Vikings still have a lot of questions that need to be answered, they seem to be in a good place heading into training camp.

Here are some takeaways from the spring with an eye toward the summer:

Sam Darnold is clearly QB1

Anybody who’s been paying attention over the past few months shouldn’t be surprised by the fact that Darnold has been named starting quarterback heading into training camp. That’s been the expectation ever since the Vikings signed him to a 1-year, $10 million contract in free agency. There’s no question Darnold was the most impressive quarterback in the roster throughout the spring. He showcased his incredible arm talent every time he stepped onto the field. The next step for Darnold is continuing that upward trajectory when everybody puts pads on.

J.J. McCarthy is a work in progress

The raw ability that McCarthy possesses has been striking to see firsthand. He already has shown he can fit throws into tight windows with relative ease. The biggest issue for McCarthy has been his lack of consistency when either layering the ball to the boundary or pushing the ball downfield. That’s not unexpected considering he’s relearning his footwork under the tutelage of O’Connell and new quarterback coach Josh McCown. It’s going to click for McCarthy at some point, and when it does, he has the makings of being a very good player.

The battle for No. 3 receiver is on

Naturally, as soon as star receiver Justin Jefferson put pen to paper on his historic contract extension, he returned to practice and made everything look easy across 72 hours at mandatory minicamp. Just as impressive as Jefferson was second-year receiver Jordan Addison, who looks primed to continue his impressive ascension. Who is going to take the spot up for grabs behind Jefferson and Addison? It looks like shifty receiver Brandon Powell is the leader in the clubhouse based on his amount of reps with the starters. The other player to keep an eye on is speedy Jalen Nailor, assuming he can stay healthy during training camp.

The defense should be much improved

There seemed to be a concerted effort in free agency to get defensive coordinator Brian Flores more weapons on that side of the ball. There were key additions at every level, including edge rusher Jonathan Greenard, linebacker Blake Cashman and cornerback Shaq Griffin. Those players join a solid group that was already improving under Flores. Though the Vikings still might not be a Top 10 defense like they were under former head coach Mike Zimmer, they are taking steps in that right direction.

Dallas Turner already looks like a beast

The story that left tackle Christian Darrisaw told during organized team activities spoke volumes. He brought up how rookie edge rusher Dallas Turner pulled off a nasty spin move during a 1-on-1 drill in practice. He opted not to name drop the offense lineman it happened to so not to put him on blast. There have been a handful of stories like that whenever Turner has come up in casual conversation. He certainly looks the part in the early stages of his career. There will be much more learned about Turner when the pads go on.

https://www.twincities.com/2024/06/14/wh...he-spring/