Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's the bigger Chiefs embarrassment?
Rashee Rice or Harrison Butker?

...y'know, that's a tough call. I guess not being the Swifty chew-toy will bring out strange behaviors in certain people within proximity of Mr. Kelse. While I'm not sure if I can pick between the legal woes or the "make it 1953 again!" babble, I do wonder if their roster will have any more...entertainment...for us this offseason...?
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!

I missed it, what did Butker do?

He gave a commencement address at Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas.

https://www.ncregister.com/news/harrison...enedictine

I think most of the angst was on this portion of his address which some found misogynistic.

"For the ladies present today, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud of all that you have achieved to this point in your young lives. I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world."

He followed with this:
"I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I'm on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation. I'm beyond blessed with the many talents God has given me, but it cannot be overstated that all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife, and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker."

He received an 18 second standing ovation.

A very traditionalist religious guy giving a commencement address at a very traditionalist college (Theology is the 2nd most popular major...behind education). At least it was a religious private school so it's in line with the students belief.

Some also pointed to antisemitic remarks...but in fairness...it was pretty tame compared to some of the other speeches at other publicly financed universities during this graduation cycle that called for action against Jews.

It's not my cup of tea...but I wouldn't find myself applying to the school either.

(05-17-2024, 05:57 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: I missed it,  what did Butker do?

He gave a graduation speech that was one part Catholic cheerleading (appropriate for the situation), and one part...um...let's just say "not supportive of women in the working world". Interesting, as more than half of college grads are women, nowadays.
Here's a link to the whole speech:
A Long, Very Catholic Speech  

It blocks me from copying the lines in question, but he basically tells the women that homemaker is the best job for them, and that God, not birth control, should pick the time for breedin'.

I actually understand his love of the "traditional family roles", as I'm pretty convinced that the two-income families have been psychologically and emotionally brutal to the last several generations of kids...but, his delivery made me wonder if I was gonna see Jim and Tammy Bakker step out with Oral Roberts and Jessica Hahn in tow.....

(05-17-2024, 10:56 AM)Zanary Wrote: He gave a graduation speech that was one part Catholic cheerleading (appropriate for the situation), and one part...um...let's just say "not supportive of women in the working world". Interesting, as more than half of college grads are women, nowadays.
Here's a link to the whole speech:
A Long, Very Catholic Speech  

It blocks me from copying the lines in question, but he basically tells the women that homemaker is the best job for them, and that God, not birth control, should pick the time for breedin'.

I actually understand his love of the "traditional family roles", as I'm pretty convinced that the two-income families have been psychologically and emotionally brutal to the last several generations of kids...but, his delivery made me wonder if I was gonna see Jim and Tammy Bakker step out with Oral Roberts and Jessica Hahn in tow.....

This is about that? I listened to his speech a week ago and anybody with that take away was looking for an excuse to pop off... most likely out of their disdain for his religious beliefs. He wasnt condemning women in the workplace, he was condemning the notion that a woman who chooses to stay home and raise their children and run a household, is any less accomplished in their lives than those that choose to get a career and chase a buck. His own mother is a working professional, I doubt very much he has issues with his own mothers path.

This is very much like Mike Rowes campaign to champion for young men and women to enter the trades and the stigmas that go along with those that follow those career paths. There are those out there that belittle any return to traditional roles for women, or those that dont pursue degrees and professions that require massive amounts of personal debt.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

Again, he received an 18 second standing ovation for his comments about homemakers so clearly the graduates didn't have an issue with the content... Now compare that to the Jews in the audience at numerous Public university commencements who have had to sit through over the top calls to destroy the Jews...because we must respect free speech.

It's the left trying to paint the religious right in a broad brush as out of touch and dangerous. Can the Handmaids be far behind?
[-] The following 1 user Likes badgervike's post:

(05-17-2024, 12:27 PM)badgervike Wrote: Again, he received an 18 second standing ovation for his comments about homemakers so clearly the graduates didn't have an issue with the content...  Now compare that to the Jews in the audience at numerous Public university commencements who have had to sit through over the top calls to destroy the Jews...because we must respect free speech.

It's the left trying to paint the religious right in a broad brush as out of touch and dangerous.  Can the Handmaids be far behind?

I'd gently point out that he got 18 seconds of standing ovation at a school that literally steeps their educational experience in religious/traditional values...so, yeah, it's about as shocking as big cheers for doing a puff speech on Obama at a Huffpost convention.

I'd also point out that those women in front of him had just spent years getting those degrees, and his main address to them was what else they could/should be concentrating on.

As I said in my original post, I have some understanding of his message, I'm just not a great fan of the delivery.