Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joel Klatt on NFLN Total Access re: McCarthy
Blessing in disguise? Absofreakin' lutely.
I was never sold on Maye. Upside yes, but too many negatives. I never understood why he was considered in the Top Three QBs in this draft.
Assuming we offered that haul to the Patriots, I am sooo glad they rebuffed it.
We're good. We'll pick up a few 4-7 late round camp fodder kids and they will probably try to find the next Ivan Pace in UDFA on Sunday.

I struggle to imagine how anyone could rank an unproven Maye as that much better than JJM or Penix + a dump truck full of picks. Maybe the Pats saved us from ourselves or maybe that haul isn't quite accurate as that would be a lot more than I feel like you'd want to commit to a single prospect.
[-] The following 2 users Like medaille's post:

Not only am I not buying that they offered that kind of draft capital to go to 3, I’m not convinced Maye was their number 1 target. According to a GM for another team, it was known to them the Vikings really wanted JJM. It’s possible they would move up to take him at 3. Unable to do it, they would wait to jump up when the chance presented itself. It’s just me guessing, but I have to wonder if the Giants were a concern. Either way, after they went WR, everything looked golden.

The expectation sticking in their spots: the Vikings were well known to want JJM, the Broncos were all in in Nix and planned to trade down for more picks and take him, and the Raiders wanted Penix badly. One of the three GM’s had even considered having a conference call to be sure no one traded out and f’ed things up. Then Atlanta happened.

Atlanta took Penix and totally messed things up. Once Penix was gone, the Raiders would be left with no one unless they could move up. The Jets scored when ATL took Penix. So the Vikings had to trade up to ensure they could get their guy. Had Penix and Nix been available, the Broncos wanted to trade down. Since they knew the Raiders would take Nix after Oenix was gone, they had to stand pat and take him. If I were to guess, the Broncos had expected to pull a pick from the Raiders to move up one and guarantee they get their guy in Penix.

This is what I’ve heard. Yet again, people are pointing at Atlanta for being dinks. At least one GM believed the Vikings number 1 target was JJM and not Maye. We’ll probably never know, but it brings me back to comments from Harbaugh saying he thought JJM would go much higher than people expected.

Lastly, JJM declined a congratulatory call from Wayne Gretzky last night.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Havoc's post:

Havoc, I'm also not convinced the Vikings really made that alleged offer. Just yesterday morning I was hearing/reading that the Pats hadn't gotten a "serious" offer for #3. Then the morning after the NYG and Vikings (mostly) stay put the Patriots are leaking that the Vikes offered 3 1sts and the Giants offered their 2025 1st to go from 6 to 3.

Smells to me like damage control from the Pats who knew much of the fan base was wanting/expecting a big tradedown haul.

Seems like the true offer was three 1sts, and pick swaps with the Vikings allegedly sweetening the deal at the last minute.

I really wanted Maye, but JJM was right there behind him for me. The kid has moxie, leadership attributes through the roof, confidence, and plenty enough talent. It's a new era in Vikingland, folks.
The artist formerly known as PurpleCrush.