Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
25 years ago today (1/17/24)
[Image: merlin_70378.jpg?w=525&h=600&auto=compre...aces&dpr=2]

For me, who was there, that wasn't the reason Minnesota lost. Robert Smith running out bounds....Robert Griffith dropping the easiest INT in the world on their last drive.....Randall Cunningham getting sacked when there was a wide open Cris Carter for a TD right before half. Gary Anderson didn't lose it for us. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
For me, who was there, that wasn't the reason Minnesota lost. Robert Smith running out bounds....Robert Griffith dropping the easiest INT in the world on their last drive.....Randall Cunningham getting sacked when there was a wide open Cris Carter for a TD right before half. Gary Anderson didn't lose it for us. 
He hadn't missed a FG all season.  We needed a simple chip shot to go to the SB.  Certainly our perfect kicker will put the game out of reach and finally seal the win.  Nope... 
To this day I haven't completely forgiven GA.
Thanks for the reminder, pf! Confused

I was there too...Lots of living in 25 years huh?

I think Randall over-throwing a wide open Moss for a td down the sideline in overtime haunts me the most. 

Agreed, there were many contributors to this soul wrenching loss; rightly or wrongly most fans will pin this on Andersen. And that kick would have iced it. 

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
He hadn't missed a FG all season.  We needed a simple chip shot to go to the SB.  Certainly our perfect kicker will put the game out of reach and finally seal the win.  Nope... 
To this day I haven't completely forgiven GA.
Thanks for the reminder, pf! Confused
Sorry man...

25 years is a big milestone. Time for a quick re-call and lets reboot to that next season.

Oh the wretched sports life for a Viking fan Smile

Smith did it twice - I was screaming “- WHAT THE F ARE YOU DOING !!!!!!”

Dont know why he always gets a free pass from Vikes fans.  We always heard about how smart he was....well, when it came to situational awareness or self preservation, we all know what he chose. 

isnt today also the anniversary of our ‘74 SB against the Dolphins....I was just a kid. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

I think Randall over-throwing a wide open Moss for a td down the sideline in overtime haunts me the most. 

Agreed, there were many contributors to this soul wrenching loss; rightly or wrongly most fans will pin this on Andersen. And that kick would have iced it. 

In OT I believe he under-threw Moss. I only know that because it is ETCHED IN MY MIND.

What I also remember is the offense going conservative in the second half. 

Quote: @"FLVike" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

In OT I believe he under-threw Moss. I only know that because it is ETCHED IN MY MIND.
I trust your memory more than mine. Either way a massive miss that would have re-written history. 

How the hell Cunningham, Moss, Carter, Reed, Bob Smith managed just 7 points after the 1/2 of that game alludes me to this day. 

I swear there were 150,000 people at the stadium that day when I have talked to people after the fact. Yes I was there and it was a strange experience. Some fandom never came back from that one.