Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Bout damn time ... dumbest rule in football

Hear hear!!

I dont like the rule,  however I dont want to see a player that exposes the ball and loses control not be penalized for the careless effort.  Maybe if they lose control and the ball goes OB,  its a non gain and they get the ball back at the original field position?  ( basically they lose any forward gains ?) 

I also hate the breaking the plane ends the play for a running play ,  IMO a player crossing the goal line should have to maintain procession to the ground ( the whistle) and not just to the point of forward progress.

Its time for the NFL to add more than sharper camera technology to the game,  GPS, lasers, etc should be incorporated into the game to speed up the game process.  its insane that we leave things like first downs to chain gangs and random chain spots.  I saw one spot last weekend that had the Vikings lose over 1 yard on the sideline judges spot of a gain of less than 10 yards,  absolutely inexcusable.

and talking out the other side of my mouth,  I would like to see slow motion replays eliminated from the review process, we dont micro analyze most other calls like holding and shit that is just as likely to have a major affect on the game outcome,  by on procession?  make the officials look at the reviews in full speed and if they dont see it there,  then it likely shouldnt be called.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I dont like the rule,  however I dont want to see a player that exposes the ball and loses control not be penalized for the careless effort.  Maybe if they lose control and the ball goes OB,  its a non gain and they get the ball back at the original field position?  ( basically they lose any forward gains ?) 

I also hate the breaking the plane ends the play for a running play ,  IMO a player crossing the goal line should have to maintain procession to the ground ( the whistle) and not just to the point of forward progress.

Its time for the NFL to add more than sharper camera technology to the game,  GPS, lasers, etc should be incorporated into the game to speed up the game process.  its insane that we leave things like first downs to chain gangs and random chain spots.  I saw one spot last weekend that had the Vikings lose over 1 yard on the sideline judges spot of a gain of less than 10 yards,  absolutely inexcusable.

and talking out the other side of my mouth,  I would like to see slow motion replays eliminated from the review process, we dont micro analyze most other calls like holding and shit that is just as likely to have a major affect on the game outcome,  by on procession?  make the officials look at the reviews in full speed and if they dont see it there,  then it likely shouldnt be called.
THANK YOU ! 
Yes “real time” review is needed as a FIRST, and LAST viewing.
Plays are “bang, bang” so if you slow a play down it changes the dynamics of the play

I have no idea why they dont also use VAR like soccer

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:

The end zone is unique but it should not determine turnover/possession of the ball. If you fumble and the ball goes out bounds at the 1 yard line then you should keep the ball and get it at the point of the fumble. In other words, you don't get to advance the ball via a fumble out of bounds. And if you fumble and it goes out of bounds in the end zone, it should be a touchback and you keep the ball but at the 20 yard line. Because the end zone is unique but should not determine who gets the ball.

It is without a doubt the dumbest rule of football.  There is no way that the defense should get
the ball if they don’t gain possession of the football.  Beyond that, I don’t care too much about the
specifics of what happens, so long as the offense maintains possession of the
ball.

@medaille said:
Quote:
It is without a doubt the dumbest rule of football.  There is no way that the defense should get
the ball if they don’t gain possession of the football.
  Beyond that, I don’t care too much about the
specifics of what happens, so long as the offense maintains possession of the
ball.
No simpler way to say it than that. 

There is also talk that the tush push the Eagles run is going to be looked at.  For a long time it was not allowed to push the ball carrier forward then the rule was changed to allow it.  Time to change the rule back and get the rugby play out of the game.

Quote: @Greylock said:
There is also talk that the tush push the Eagles run is going to be looked at.  For a long time it was not allowed to push the ball carrier forward then the rule was changed to allow it.  Time to change the rule back and get the rugby play out of the game.
Agree. There are some things that you just know are wrong on their surface. This is one of them. The fumble out of the end zone is another. Happy to hear they're looking at both.