Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears to decide on QB Justin Fields
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@JimmyinSD said:
what I find crazy is how some teams are so quick to throw raw prospects to the wolves,  sure some kids are ready right out of college,   but they are few and far between,   I dont care who we take to replace cousins,  I dont want him starting year 1 or at least until any expectation for the season is off his shoulders and he can just go out and play and learn.  Get a cheap veteran bridge QB that will be willing to work with the kid for a year.
You only get a few short years on that rookie contract. You don't spend a high 1st on a kid and let him sit for a year...period. The expectation for a high 1st player is that they are NFL ready. I give them a grace period of a few games if they need it to get used to the speed and flow of the games and weekly schedule. The rest is on the job training and always will be.
You get 4 pretty affordable years,  if the difference between them having a successful career means using part or one of those years for them to be mentored and brought along slowly vs getting shell shocked and going to shit ,  imo that's money well spent
  Or you can do as you say,  throw them out there before they are ready and watch them struggle for a couple years and then do it all over again.  Some positions are prepared by the college game,  some most certainly aren't,  with QBs,  it seems that they need more.
CJ Stroud has had one good game so far and the media has crowned him a success and the future of the NFL already.

That's nothing new, whenever a qb is drafted, he is crowned it's sort of like a participation trophy 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@JimmyinSD said:
what I find crazy is how some teams are so quick to throw raw prospects to the wolves,  sure some kids are ready right out of college,   but they are few and far between,   I dont care who we take to replace cousins,  I dont want him starting year 1 or at least until any expectation for the season is off his shoulders and he can just go out and play and learn.  Get a cheap veteran bridge QB that will be willing to work with the kid for a year.
You only get a few short years on that rookie contract. You don't spend a high 1st on a kid and let him sit for a year...period. The expectation for a high 1st player is that they are NFL ready. I give them a grace period of a few games if they need it to get used to the speed and flow of the games and weekly schedule. The rest is on the job training and always will be.
You get 4 pretty affordable years,  if the difference between them having a successful career means using part or one of those years for them to be mentored and brought along slowly vs getting shell shocked and going to shit ,  imo that's money well spent
  Or you can do as you say,  throw them out there before they are ready and watch them struggle for a couple years and then do it all over again.  Some positions are prepared by the college game,  some most certainly aren't,  with QBs,  it seems that they need more.
CJ Stroud has had one good game so far and the media has crowned him a success and the future of the NFL already.

well... you said media,  so thats really all you needed to know to explain the problem.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Part of the reason so many QB failures in the NFL are the coaches, scouting departments and owners love affair with the athleticism displayed in the college game and inability to recognize the lack of translating that to the league. Turning a blind eye to the system they run and praying they can teach them to play QB for the first time at the NFL level is hilarious. Why anyone would bother scouting an Ohio State QB is beyond me. 

Fields might be paid under the table to slow play and enable the Bears to get high picks.
One more year of that will enable the Bears to stock their roster.

Quote: @Godhead said:
 Fields might be paid under the table to slow play and enable the Bears to get high picks.
Or...he just might not be very good and the next roster spot they stock is a starting QB.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Godhead said:
Or...he just might not be very good and the next roster spot they stock is a starting QB.
IMO, it's this. He's hardwired to run at the first sign of the pocket collapsing. He's missed seeing WIDE open dudes, he doesn't have pocket vision. I don't think I can remember a young QB who has had these same traits make it in the NFL. Same with Trey Lance....you are just going to forget the guy is even in the league and one day, poof, he'll be gone. Fields is probably the best running QB I've seen since Michael Vick....he's better than Lamar Jackson. But he's a horrible passer. As I mentioned in another thread, if the Bears move on from him, another team will give him a legit chance. But I don't see it working out. And the Bears are going to be VERY tempted to do so with two #1 picks in this Spring's Draft. 

I couldn't figure out why so many thought he turned a corner last year. It was the opposite. If he was ever going to be an NFL QB last year had to be the year he transitioned from athlete to QB, however ugly that might get.

Instead he became a weapon on the ground and the Bears won a few games because of it. It ruined him. He'll have better games this year, but it's over. Bears will draft a QB in the spring. 

What a QB draft that was.  Of course, Lawrence at #1 was a no brainer not that he is setting the world on fire.  I had Wilson a very close second and Fields an easy Top 10 pick then Mac Jones and Lance last.  I would say I had a few of those right but certainly not Wilson and Fields I thought they would be sure fire starters.  Armchair GM strikes again.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
What a QB draft that was.  Of course, Lawrence at #1 was a no brainer not that he is setting the world on fire.  I had Wilson a very close second and Fields an easy Top 10 pick then Mac Jones and Lance last.  I would say I had a few of those right but certainly not Wilson and Fields I thought they would be sure fire starters.  Armchair GM strikes again.  
Honestly, fans can be as accurate or more so with rookie NFL QBs. It really is amazing how often teams get it wrong. We all get it wrong. Just too many intangibles and X-factors to have real accuracy in projecting a college QB to the NFL. I'll just take luck, quite honestly....but that's something Minnesota is not known for.