Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings are waiving Reagor
Just another thought on Spielman and his lack of rolling the dice on quarterbacks. I think missing out on Ponder made him gun shy for a bit (understandably), then there was so much scrutiny surrounding the Cousins signing from the amount of guaranteed money to his stigma of never being able to win the big game, that he wanted to avoid any possible QB controversy by not having a legit young draft pick waiting in the wings behind him. By signing the Sean Mannions of the world, there was never any threat of controversy or the crowd calling for a QB change when Kirk threw an INT or two. I think it was done intentionally and by design.

I would actually love to call in when Rick is one of the hosts on NFL Radio and ask him about this and a few other things. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Just another thought on Spielman and his lack of rolling the dice on quarterbacks. I think missing out on Ponder made him gun shy for a bit (understandably), then there was so much scrutiny surrounding the Cousins signing from the amount of guaranteed money to his stigma of never being able to win the big game, that he wanted to avoid any possible QB controversy by not having a legit young draft pick waiting in the wings behind him. By signing the Sean Mannions of the world, there was never any threat of controversy or the crowd calling for a QB change when Kirk threw an INT or two. I think it was done intentionally and by design.

I would actually love to call in when Rick is one of the hosts on NFL Radio and ask him about this and a few other things. 
What a terrible year to be in the market for a QB as a whole.  Newton went 1st, Locker went 8th and Gabbert went 10th before the Vikings selected 12th (right after my Badger JJ Watt).  Kaepernick and Dalton were still on the board.  In retrospect, Dalton was probably the best available though fairly far down on the pre-draft rankings. Bleacher Report said:
Overall Position Grade: C
A lot of mid-tier prospects, but no franchise quarterback in the bunch.

Here were the QB rankings pre-draft

1. Cam Newton, Auburn
2. Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
3. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
4. Tyrod Taylor, Virginia Tech
5. Christian Ponder, Florida State
6. Jake Locker, Washington
7. Greg McElroy, Alabama
8. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
9. Andy Dalton, TCU
10. Pat Devlin, Delaware
11. Ricky Stanzi, Iowa

Dalton has had a long career but with around a .500% win-loss record.  Kaep had that one year.  Locker is working at the Denny's in Spokane.

Quote: @badgervike said:
@supafreak84 said:

What a terrible year to be in the market for a QB as a whole.  Newton went 1st, Locker went 8th and Gabbert went 10th before the Vikings selected 12th (right after my Badger JJ Watt).  Kaepernick and Dalton were still on the board.  In retrospect, Dalton was probably the best available though fairly far down on the pre-draft rankings. Bleacher Report said:

1. Cam Newton, Auburn
7. Greg McElroy, Alabama
9. Andy Dalton, TCU
10. Pat Devlin, Delaware
11. Ricky Stanzi, Iowa

Dalton has had a long career but with around a .500% win-loss record.  Kaep had that one year.  Locker is working at the Denny's in Spokane.

It was a crap year to be taking a QB. I wanted us to take Pouncey and fix the interior of our offensive line. 12 years later and I'm still waiting for them to fix the interior of our line. 

This is hard to believe, but Christian Ponder is the same age as Kirk Cousins (35). Vastly different career paths..

@badgervike said:
@supafreak84 said:

1. Cam Newton, Auburn
7. Greg McElroy, Alabama
9. Andy Dalton, TCU
10. Pat Devlin, Delaware
11. Ricky Stanzi, Iowa

It was a crap year to be taking a QB. I wanted us to take Pouncey and fix the interior of our offensive line. 12 years later and I'm still waiting for them to fix the interior of our line. 

This is hard to believe, but Christian Ponder is the same age as Kirk Cousins (35). Vastly different career paths..
The QB room was pretty bare as I recall post Favre.  Pay Tarvaris and keep him or play Joe Webb.  That's why you shouldn't go into a draft with a distinct position of need.

Quote: @badgervike said:
@supafreak84 said:

1. Cam Newton, Auburn
7. Greg McElroy, Alabama
9. Andy Dalton, TCU
10. Pat Devlin, Delaware
11. Ricky Stanzi, Iowa

Which one.  I might be tempted to stop by.  Didn't Tyrod have a lengthy backup career, even getting some starts in Buffalo  

Then there was Ryan Leaf 2.0, Ryan Mallett.

Eh, that’s how it goes. 
If you need a QB right now you’re kind of at the mercy of fate.  A good GM has to have a strategy for how they
end up getting a good QB in a sea of uncertain prospects.  I don’t think there’s really evidence that
suggested that Rick really had a strategy.

Regarding Bradford, he was a known injury risk.  He took a shot.  It didn’t pay off.  In hindsight, it kind of sucks that the draft
pick we used for Bradford could have picked Mahomes with a moderate trade up.

Quote: @medaille said:
Eh, that’s how it goes. 
If you need a QB right now you’re kind of at the mercy of fate.  A good GM has to have a strategy for how they
end up getting a good QB in a sea of uncertain prospects.  I don’t think there’s really evidence that

Regarding Bradford, he was a known injury risk.  He took a shot.  It didn’t pay off.  In hindsight, it kind of sucks that the draft
On Mahomes, he was universally thought of as a second round pick leading up to the draft. So I'm not sure how many teams viewed him in the same light as KC who moved all the way up to draft him 10th overall. I know i was surprised when they made the pick. It took some balls to do that with Alex Smith coming off a Pro Bowl caliber season. But great example of a team having a plan at the position and executing it to perfection 

@medaille said:
Eh, that’s how it goes. 

On Mahomes, he was universally thought of as a second round pick leading up to the draft. So I'm not sure how many teams viewed him in the same light as KC who moved all the way up to draft him 10th overall. I know i was surprised when they made the pick. It took some balls to do that with Alex Smith coming off a Pro Bowl caliber season. But great example of a team having a plan at the position and executing it to perfection 
I think the thing I like most about their strategy is that
they weren’t needy and they had the stuff in place to help him succeed.  They had a good QB.  They had a good system.  They could afford to wait a year or two for
the right prospect to fall within range of them trading up for a reasonable
price that wouldn’t cripple them and if it didn’t work out they were probably
still going to the playoffs.  Then when
they saw a guy that would work, they jumped on it.  There’s a large enough sample of guys that are
SB caliber that are found within reach of teams that aren’t bottom dwellers.  You just have to be ready to get your guy
when they are available.

Quote: @medaille said:
@supafreak84 said:
@medaille said:
Eh, that’s how it goes. 

I think the thing I like most about their strategy is that
they weren’t needy and they had the stuff in place to help him succeed.  They had a good QB.  They had a good system.  They could afford to wait a year or two for
the right prospect to fall within range of them trading up for a reasonable
price that wouldn’t cripple them and if it didn’t work out they were probably
still going to the playoffs.  Then when
they saw a guy that would work, they jumped on it.  There’s a large enough sample of guys that are
SB caliber that are found within reach of teams that aren’t bottom dwellers.  You just have to be ready to get your guy
when they are available.

Sometimes the plan works and sometimes it doesn't.  Ask the 49ers about trading up for your QB of the future when you have a QB in his prime....  The reality is KC was either very good or very lucky in scouting...probably a combination of both.  There's a lot more examples of swings and misses at QB than there are successes.