Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: USWNT Soccer
I have never been much of a soccer fan...men's or women's...I never understood the fanaticism...until...TRUE STORY:

I was able to pick up US Soccer Federation as a client about 25 years ago.  Did my work for them (successfully) and I was nicely compensated for the solid job I did.  I was invited to go to a US vs. Iran men's game in Pasadena, CA at the Rose Bowl with my wife (there was another USSF marketing event simultaneously, so I was going to be there).  Little did I understand at the time that the LA Basin is also called "Little Tehran", with more than 600,000 Iranian-born residents in the region...more than anywhere in the world outside of Tehran.  All a product of the overthrow of the Shah back decades earlier.  My contact at USSF said that there was more media interest in this game (1,600 media credentials issued) than the first World Cup tournament in the US back in the 80's.  It was all because of the relatively recent history of the US vs. Iran that was much larger than sport.
So we went to this game.  My wife is blonde.  She was probably one of three blonde women in the Rose Bowl that day.  And there were a LOT of women there.
Above and below and on either side of us were obviously fans of Iranian descent.  They were loud, screaming, excited and they were having a great time.  My wife and I were a bit like bumps on a log, watching the action, but not having any idea even the rules of soccer.  About midway through the second period, a woman who was seated directly in front of us (who had been screaming bloody murder in excitement), turned around and said to my wife in a very polite tone "are you having a nice time?"  It was surreal.
As part of that same contract, I was able to attend a double-header at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands (late 90s?).  I think it was the prevailing World Cup Champion Brazil vs. an All-star team of other World Cup teams, and then the MLS All-star game.  It was painful to sit through, because I didn't even understand the rules, but holy cats...those Brazilians were proud and fanatical!!  I'd never seen so many Brazilian flags in person in my life.
Fast forward to last winter...I had heard about Ted Lasso.  My wife and I started watching it and got hooked.  It was a perfect segue...a small-time American football coach in the British Premier League.  I actually learned more about soccer, the game, the strategy, and F**king Roy Kent!  At this time, I can actually, honestly say that I would be open to watching a soccer game, kinda understand it, kinda enjoy it and "have a nice time", as the Iranian woman in Pasadena had asked.  
So thank you Jason Sudekis and Ted Lasso for having opened my eyes to a game the rest of the world is passionate about.