Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Draft ranked 31 out of 32 Teams by the Athletic's Dane Brugler
From today's NFL.com;

D+
[Image: MIN]
Minnesota VikingsTotal picks: 6
Round 1 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 7
The Vikings pulled a minor surprise -- but hardly a shock -- when they took Jordan Addison in Round 1. What made it most interesting was doing so with Maryland CB Deonte Banks still on the board. It's reasonable to think they anticipate second-year CBs Andrew Booth and Akayleb Evans will be healthy enough to contribute, although the Vikes did use their next two picks on the secondary. Addison is a dangerous playmaker who will see clearer paths opposite Justin Jefferson. But can the Pittsburgh/USC product thrive on the outside, or will he be mostly limited to the slot? At 173 pounds, lacking elite speed, Addison must show he can get loose from press-man coverage, but he's a three-level threat with polished route-running skills. Mekhi Blackmon was a reach in my mind, but he certainly fits the mold of a Brian Flores defender, so I'll reserve judgment a bit. He is a bit older, however, at age 24 -- and had some injury issues in college. The Jay Ward pick made a little more sense in that he has safety/slot/outside-corner versatility and is a bit cleaner an evaluation from a health standpoint. Jaquelin Roy is a strong, stout defender with the ability to contribute in a rotation, but his lack of twitch likely keeps him off the field in obvious passing situations. The Vikings were expected to be in on the quarterbacks, so the Jaren Hall selection wasn't surprising. He also operated in a system with some pro concepts and has the smarts, moxie and athleticism to make it. But Hall is already 25 years old, injury-prone and lacks high-end arm talent. So, while Kirk Cousins is in the last year of his contract, Hall doesn't exactly present a clear succession plan. Minnesota's final pick was by far my favorite, considering where the Vikings got DeWayne McBride. He absolutely has the tackle-breaking skill and surprising wiggle to be a first- and second-down standout, even while it's obvious his ball security (nine fumbles on 525 carries at UAB) and third-down ability (five catches on 10 targets in 30 career games) are well below average.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
From today's NFL.com;

D+
[Image: MIN]
Minnesota VikingsTotal picks: 6
Round 1 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 7
The Vikings pulled a minor surprise -- but hardly a shock -- when they took Jordan Addison in Round 1. What made it most interesting was doing so with Maryland CB Deonte Banks still on the board. It's reasonable to think they anticipate second-year CBs Andrew Booth and Akayleb Evans will be healthy enough to contribute, although the Vikes did use their next two picks on the secondary. Addison is a dangerous playmaker who will see clearer paths opposite Justin Jefferson. But can the Pittsburgh/USC product thrive on the outside, or will he be mostly limited to the slot? At 173 pounds, lacking elite speed, Addison must show he can get loose from press-man coverage, but he's a three-level threat with polished route-running skills. Mekhi Blackmon was a reach in my mind, but he certainly fits the mold of a Brian Flores defender, so I'll reserve judgment a bit. He is a bit older, however, at age 24 -- and had some injury issues in college. The Jay Ward pick made a little more sense in that he has safety/slot/outside-corner versatility and is a bit cleaner an evaluation from a health standpoint. Jaquelin Roy is a strong, stout defender with the ability to contribute in a rotation, but his lack of twitch likely keeps him off the field in obvious passing situations. The Vikings were expected to be in on the quarterbacks, so the Jaren Hall selection wasn't surprising. He also operated in a system with some pro concepts and has the smarts, moxie and athleticism to make it. But Hall is already 25 years old, injury-prone and lacks high-end arm talent. So, while Kirk Cousins is in the last year of his contract, Hall doesn't exactly present a clear succession plan. Minnesota's final pick was by far my favorite, considering where the Vikings got DeWayne McBride. He absolutely has the tackle-breaking skill and surprising wiggle to be a first- and second-down standout, even while it's obvious his ball security (nine fumbles on 525 carries at UAB) and third-down ability (five catches on 10 targets in 30 career games) are well below average.
Also NFL.com...

Draft picks Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: B+
Day 3 grade: A
Analysis: 
Addison will complement star receiver 
Justin Jefferson so well from the slot that it seemed the marriage was fate. Tight end T.J. Hockenson cost the team its second-rounder, which may prove wise if the Vikings are able to extend or re-sign him next offseason. Blackmon's competitiveness and sticky coverage met a crucial need. Ward is a tough-minded safety who can play some nickel for the Vikings, picking him after gaining a 2024 fifth-round pick when trading down. Roy was an excellent value in the fifth as an active interior defender. Hall is a developmental passer but flashed the velocity and accuracy of an NFL starter as often as some other quarterbacks selected before him. McBride went two rounds later than I expected.