Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking a haircut to stay
Quote: @StickyBun said:
Fingers crossed Flores works out.
Looking back two years shows two defenses with different schemes that sucked. The common denominator was personnel.
 I hope Cine, Booth, and Evans, added to this years draft and free agency acquisitions works out. If Flores can improve the defense to average, the Vikings should be a pretty good team.

Kwesi has his work cut out for him at providing Flores with the players he needs and, Flores has his work cut out for him in working with the players he will have. Hard to be overly optimistic at this point!

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
@StickyBun said:
Fingers crossed Flores works out.
Kwesi has his work cut out for him at providing Flores with the players he needs and, Flores has his work cut out for him in working with the players he will have. Hard to be overly optimistic at this point!
Completely agree. I'm hopeful, but my guess is any improvement would be incremental. Which is maybe the most realistic way to view it.

Donatell was brought in because the scheme was super popular
because it locked down Mahomes for a year. 
Teams across the league implemented it. 
Nice soft coverages, keep everything in front of you, frustrate the QBs
that like to play hero ball into making mistakes.  The league has pretty much figured the scheme
out already.  I don’t think there really
was a right answer to keeping or firing Donatell midseason.  I think a lot of our failures were due to
failure to get guys up to speed on the scheme. 
Guys were playing confused and making mistakes.  It’s hard to solve that midseason by making a
bunch of changes to the scheme and combined with us not really having the
talent to run a lot of the schemes out there, you’re probably going to be wrong
no matter what you do and you’re just hoping to be less wrong.

Quote: @medaille said:
Donatell was brought in because the scheme was super popular
because it locked down Mahomes for a year. 
Teams across the league implemented it. 
Nice soft coverages, keep everything in front of you, frustrate the QBs
that like to play hero ball into making mistakes.  The league has pretty much figured the scheme
out already.  I don’t think there really
was a right answer to keeping or firing Donatell midseason.  I think a lot of our failures were due to
failure to get guys up to speed on the scheme. 
Guys were playing confused and making mistakes.  It’s hard to solve that midseason by making a
bunch of changes to the scheme and combined with us not really having the
talent to run a lot of the schemes out there, you’re probably going to be wrong
no matter what you do and you’re just hoping to be less wrong.
Agree. It's probably a bad optic canning the D coordinator mid season on what was ultimately a 13 win season, despite a pathetic defense.