Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's what appears to be happening with Dalvin Cook, Za'Darius Smith
They can’t afford him. Even if they could, it doesn’t make much sense putting that kind of money into the RB position in this offense. 

If he is released, it won't be before the draft or even before June 1 given the significant savings for a post June 1 cut. I don't know why Fowler is reporting that he could be cut before the draft.

Quote: @"PurplePastor" said:
If he is released, it won't be before the draft or even before June 1 given the significant savings for a post June 1 cut. I don't know why Fowler is reporting that he could be cut before the draft.
Just more clickbait

Seems like  a restructured deal that keeps him in this offense may be his best option.

With the way FA  contracts go for  27 year old RB's I don't think he has much leverage.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:

Seems like  a restructured deal that keeps him in this offense may be his best option.

With the way FA  contracts go for  27 year old RB's I don't think he has much leverage.
He has none and although its hardball, the Vikings don't need to rush into releasing him. Whether they were to move on now, during training camp, or at any point in-between when they need cap space the cap implications are the same. Ideally I think they trade him near or during the draft. If not I bet they try to pressure him into taking a straight pay-cut. 

I still contend that Cook is one of the top 5 RB's in the league, is only 27, and it would be a mistake for the Vikings to get rid of him and just expect these other guys to replace his production. If thats the plan, then there really is no point in holding onto Cousins either for this upcoming season. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I still contend that Cook is one of the top 5 RB's in the league, is only 27, and it would be a mistake for the Vikings to get rid of him and just expect these other guys to replace his production. If thats the plan, then there really is no point in holding onto Cousins either for this upcoming season. 
The situations are different entirely. If you dump Cook you save $6-8M on the cap this season and $15M in both 2023/24 while having a viable replacement in Mattison/Chandler and a potential lost cost draft pick. The question is more around if they want to pay any RB >$10M or if they will get the necessary production out of allocating resources this way. Its has nothing to do with tanking of competitiveness. 

As it relates to Kirk this would only increase his value in many ways since they would be committing to a more pass heavy approach. If there is no point in holding onto Kirk you're effectively valuing the RB position in close proximity to QB. 

I would rather have DC on the team than not. But the question is what are we not doing to upgrade another personnel group keeping him here?

Dont know if last year is a great crystal ball or the anomaly season. 

I also think we can get an awful lot of his production back with Mattison and the rest of that RB room. Maybe he'll stay on a lesser deal? 

But I dont connect him potentially leaving with a need to chuck our PB QB. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
The situations are different entirely. If you dump Cook you save $6-8M on the cap this season and $15M in both 2023/24 while having a viable replacement in Mattison/Chandler and a potential lost cost draft pick. The question is more around if they want to pay any RB >$10M or if they will get the necessary production out of allocating resources this way. Its has nothing to do with tanking of competitiveness. 

As it relates to Kirk this would only increase his value in many ways since they would be committing to a more pass heavy approach. If there is no point in holding onto Kirk you're effectively valuing the RB position in close proximity to QB. 
I just think it's foolish to get rid of a guy who is a top 5 RB in the league and expecting a committee approach to replicate his production and what he means to the offense. Mattison is a good straight-line runner, but doesn't come close to Cook's burst, vision, change of direction, and home run hitting ability. Chandler looked good last preseason but didn't play at all last year so is an unknown. Cook is still only 27 and should have realistically four years left of top production, and if the shoulder is finally fixed, he'll be even better. 

Either the front office needs to be all in for this upcoming season or get rid of the pieces that don't have a long-term future with the franchise. If Cook is on that list, then Cousins should be as well entering into the last season of his contract as a 35-year-old player who we don't want to sign to another big money extension. If you get rid of one, then get rid of the other and lets build this thing towards the future. You get rid of Cook but retain Cousins, chances are we only solidifying mediocrity for next season. 

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

I just think it's foolish to get rid of a guy who is a top 5 RB in the league and expecting a committee approach to replicate his production and what he means to the offense. Mattison is a good straight-line runner, but doesn't come close to Cook's burst, vision, change of direction, and home run hitting ability. Chandler looked good last preseason but didn't play at all last year so is an unknown. Cook is still only 27 and should have realistically four years left of top production, and if the shoulder is finally fixed, he'll be even better. 

Either the front office needs to be all in for this upcoming season or get rid of the pieces that don't have a long-term future with the franchise. If Cook is on that list, then Cousins should be as well entering into the last season of his contract as a 35-year-old player who we don't want to sign to another big money extension. If you get rid of one, then get rid of the other and lets build this thing towards the future. You get rid of Cook but retain Cousins, chances are we only solidifying mediocrity for next season. 
If we only had a mediocre Cook last season with Cousins, then why should we be much worse without Cook?  Our offense wasn't the issue last year.