Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Draft: Kiper has Levis #1
Yeah Strouds performance against UGA sealed it for me. His playmaking against a top, top defense was incredible.
Going to very interesting to see how the rest of the quarterbacks shake out as the process moves along. Young, Levis, Anthony Richardson, Hooker, and Tanner McKee are all in that first round mix. 

Funny enough the media narrative of Levis' season has been that he took a step back. Statistically he did but as a pro prospect I think he took a step forward. Outside of Richardson he has the best raw tools of the group and NFL teams at the top draft for upside. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. As of today I think Levis/Young are in a tier with Stroud slightly behind them. Richardson is the most polarizing but has by far the highest upside. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Funny enough the media narrative of Levis' season has been that he took a step back. Statistically he did but as a pro prospect I think he took a step forward. Outside of Richardson he has the best raw tools of the group and NFL teams at the top draft for upside. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. As of today I think Levis/Young are in a tier with Stroud slightly behind them. Richardson is the most polarizing but has by far the highest upside. 
That's the way I see it as well. I could change my mind as I watch more, but right now, I like what Levis offers most. He had a bad year, but he was hurt most of the season. Still, he played in a pro offense and was forced to create from the pocket with few weapons and terrible protection, something few others in this class did. 

Young is fun to watch and I suspect he'll be taken before Levis, but can he adjust from getting 10 yard pockets and wide open receivers to the kind of football he'll be asked to play in the NFL? Then there's the size. Here's a pretty good clip of Sean Peyton talking about prototype size at the top of the draft. Russell Wilson made it OK to draft smaller QBs, but ever since then, the smaller guys have either struggled with injuries (Murray, Tua) or they're just not NFL QBs (Manziel, Mayfield).

I put those two at the top. A gap, and then Stroud, whose arm talent I love. But I don't like as much what's between his ears. His problems with judgement and decision making at the college level could mean he could struggle mightily in the NFL. But big upside if he can sit for a season or two.

Same with Richardson. Even more upside, but anyone who puts him on the field in year one or two is going to kill him. If the Vikings are going to take a QB, this is the only one who really has a shot of being there. 

Levis reminds me of Jay Cutler coming out of Vanderbilt. I would have him behind Stroud, who is my #1 QB by a large margin. Bryce Young worries me from a size standpoint, and I don't know that he really has any elite physical traits. Richardson is an intriguing prospect physically, but he has just not shown enough as a passer where I'd feel comfortable taking him with a top half 1st round pick and he'd have to go somewhere he can sit and learn. I like Hendon Hooker, but how much upside is there with him as a 24 year old prospect already? 

I don't think its as good of a group as originally thought, but still good, just not sure how the Vikings figure in any QB talk. With our roster holes, lack of draft capital, and Kirk under contract for one more season, I just don't see that pick being used on a QB (as much as many of us would like to see it)

Richardson smells like another big, very talented and athletic bust just waiting to happen to some NFL team.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Richardson smells like another big, very talented and athletic bust just waiting to happen to some NFL team.
...or Lamar Jackson. Or Jalen Hurts. I haven't formed an opinion about him yet, but if he's there where we pick, I'd be very tempted. Vikings would definitely be a team who could give him the time he needs.