Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the thinking here?
I remember watching the teams line up for this one and wondered out loud (quite loud) why the DB was playing so far off the slot receiver. I don't know what down this was, but the 1st down marker is at the 9. Just a simple, five-yard stick route would've been a stupid-easy 1st down. Just don't get what this defense is doing half the time. And like the tweet says, we see this a lot from this Donatell D. 

https://twitter.com/NickOlsonNFL/status/...06304?s=20&t=Y4VhetB4Yya1ymzyfpZSpA

I think it's the D Coordinator and(at times) the DB's themselves too.

Reminds me of the Dantzler vs Lions, goal line @ USB, when he lined-up in every wrong way you can in that situation and gave up the TD. 

This D needs some serious fixing - both talent and scheme. 

I gotta think how happy WR's are to play against us the way we play so loose in coverage. 

Also Nice to have D Hunt 10 yards from the QB and 10 yards from pass play with his thumb firmly planted….I cant think of a better use. 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
Also Nice to have D Hunt 10 yards from the QB and 10 yards from pass play with his thumb firmly planted….I cant think of a better use. 
That was my initial thought.  The safety isn't going to play press, that is on the LBs, which Hunter is not.

Its like taking candy from a baby. Can we make it at least stealing a purse from an old lady? Incremental improvement. 

Perpetual prevent defense. Recipe for superbowl success. Defies the iconic perception of common sense. Has never worked before, yet keeps rearing its ugly head!
Justification for firing a defensive coach. Just saying!

You got Hunter matched up on a WR and he does a poor job of dropping into zone coverage it looks like. The timing is completely off...  if he's going to fake like he's rushing it needs to happen sooner so he's dropping out at the snap and taking away the throwing lane until the WR is deep enough for the safety to jump the route. 

It's one of those things where guys either aren't getting their new responsibilities or they aren't good at it. I'd expect some roster turnover on the defensive side in the off-season.  That said, you'd hope by December our defensive coordinator would have tailored our scheme to fit our players strengths...  but players gotta own it too.

I don't think they line up correctly to begin with. It looks like hybrid man coverage that is supposed to look like cover-4 pre snap. Shelley is in man coverage on the boundary but you would think the ruleset it to let Danielle take the WR if he is in-line and Bynum is supposed to come up if he's outside the hashes. You see him take a few subtle steps forward but bails since it is too late. In man if Bynum gets beat Harrison is supposed to cleanup the middle. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
You got Hunter matched up on a WR and he does a poor job of dropping into zone coverage it looks like. The timing is completely off...  if he's going to fake like he's rushing it needs to happen sooner so he's dropping out at the snap and taking away the throwing lane until the WR is deep enough for the safety to jump the route. 

It's one of those things where guys either aren't getting their new responsibilities or they aren't good at it. I'd expect some roster turnover on the defensive side in the off-season.  That said, you'd hope by December our defensive coordinator would have tailored our scheme to fit our players strengths...  but players gotta own it too.
Feels like Danielle gets left in no mans land since Bynum should be picking him up much closer to the LOS.